Return YTD Dollars Question

Shouldn't this value equal the Investment Income report with unrealized gains included ? It is fairly close but not exact.

The other odd thing is the Return ytd total on bottom of page seems accurate, but the totals for each account don't add up to it. Many mutual funds show n/a for return ytd. Thanks

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The data for the Return (%) columns in the Portfolio views is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider. It assumes reinvested distributions, and is not based on your holdings, Buy/Sell transactions, etc.

Unfortunately the downloaded data is sometimes missing or out of date.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • sailerph2
    sailerph2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, but what about just the return ytd dollars column. Much appreciated
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I compared the numbers in the Return YTD column for several securities in my account to the YTD numbers in the Reports > Investing > Investment performance report. I grouped the report by security.

In most cases, the Return YTD numbers matched the Returns - Investments at the bottom of each security's section of the report. You should be able to review those numbers to find any discrepancies. 

The differences if any were small and are due I think to management fees that were deducted as MiscExp's that referenced the security or partial months' dividends that were paid following a sale of a money market fund.

The differences you are seeing relative to the Investment income report may have to do with whether the distributions were reinvested or received in cash. If they were reinvested and the security performed well, the closing balance will be higher than if the distributions were received in cash.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • sailerph2
    sailerph2 Member ✭✭
    I see, Thanks again for explaining