Quicken for windows 2021 doesn't include options trades in Capital Gain

ashu
ashu Unconfirmed, Member
edited January 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Hi .

All categories are grayed for me so selecting random category which is visible to me.

I reached out to premier support via chat but support agent also doesn't know and asked me to try other reports without answering my specific question.

I've options transactions and Capital Gain/Loss report for YTD doesn't include those. It includes only stock transactions. That shows incorrect YTD capital gain and doesn't match with Broker account.

Thanks

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't traded any options for several years but if I click on Reports > Investing > Capital Gains and expand the time period to include my exchange-traded options activity, I'm seeing the capital gains or loss on that report.  Quicken R30.10.
    I'm not sure what that opening sentence - "All categories are grayed for me so selecting random category which is visible to me" - is referring to.
    How are you recording your option trades?  If you look at other reports, like Investment Transactions, are you seeing capital gains associated with options trades there?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they mean the forum categories.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• ashu
    ashu Unconfirmed, Member
    Thanks Tom .. I figured out that when call options were removed, quicken were adding that transactions as "Shared Added" which was not triggering capital gain calculations. I changed to "cover short sell" now capital gain report is showing correctly.

Investment transactions report is showing all transactions but call options removal was showing as "Shares Added" but covered call was added as 'ShortSell" transactions.

Thanks Volvogirl, I was referring to forum categories.
  • Tom Young
    "I figured out that when call options were removed, quicken were adding that transactions as 'Shared Added'..."
    Unless you are using one of the Quicken "wizards" to enter a security transaction, Quicken itself makes no entries; either you make an entry manually or the Financial Institution (FI) holding the account makes the entry "for you" by downloading it into Quicken. 
    It appears that the "Shares Added" action was the action being downloaded to you.  The lesson to learn here is that you simply cannot rely on FIs download the correct accounting entries into Quicken.  FIs typically are attempting to get your security holdings correctly stated, and the "Shared Added" action certainly did that, but it didn't get the accounting correct because that action doesn't allow Quicken to calculate a gain or loss.
  • Willy
    Willy Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing a similar issue. None of my Option Trades show up in the Capital Gain Report.
  • Tom Young
    I just checked in my file and my historical option trades (haven't traded options for several years) certainly are showing up in the Capital Gains Report.
    The Original Poster figured out that the reason his option trades weren't showing up in the report was because his broker was downloading the wrong information - Shares Added actions instead of CvrShrt actions.
    Maybe this is your problem, too?
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Option trades are No different than stock trades. As others noted, your broker probably sent the wrong closing transaction (many brokers get it wrong). You need to fix the transactions when downloaded to properly close your position.

Quicken does report correctly if entries are correct. 
  • Willy
    Willy Member ✭✭
    Tom and Miklk: Thank you so very much for your help. It was exactly like what you had pointed out. The downloaded transactions showed "Added", instead of "CvrShrt". Once I made the proper adjustments my Capital Gains Report came out correctly. Kudos to you two.