Account Not Synced Error

JannE
JannE Member ✭✭
When I ran a category report, I noticed that some transactions were not included in the report. Digging deeper, those transactions had an error message in the transfer column of the splits section of the transaction. It states - Account Not Synched. When I delete that notice, the transaction shows up in the report. I am not sure why this is happening! Or which transactions it is affecting! I found 2 transactions, but I know I am missing about a dozen, and I'm not sure what else I am missing. How can I isolate these transaction and fix this? And make sure this doesn't occur in the future?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Sounds very strange. Was the error message embedded right in the Transfer column? Wish we had a screenshot of it. 

The only error message associated with the Transfer column that I'm aware of is when you have a transfer transaction that goes to an account that's been deleted. But that results only in a red slash through the button that opens the other end of the transaction when the Transfer column is active:

And an error message that drops down from the top of the window:

If the text of this error message actually appears in the Transfer column, you could search for such transactions by going to the All Transactions register, click the magnifying glass in the search box, restrict the search to the Transfer column and enter part of this message's text. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    That seems weird to me. A download from a financial institution cannot know about your other accounts in Quicken, so it would never have transfer information.

However, if you had one such transaction in your Quicken database, and each subsequent transaction applies the same rule, it could be just repeating the same problem each time.

First, let's clarify that in Quicken Mac, transactions(or split lines of a transaction) can have a Category or a Transfer, but not both simultaneously. In this case, you have a Category for your Amazon purchase, so there should be no Transfer.

Next, open Window > Payees& Rules, click on the Rules tab, and look at what QuickFill rules may exist for Amazon. I'm wondering if this improperly coded transaction is memorized as a QuickFill rule that is being applied each time you download another Amazon transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Sounds very strange. Was the error message embedded right in the Transfer column? Wish we had a screenshot of it. 

The only error message associated with the Transfer column that I'm aware of is when you have a transfer transaction that goes to an account that's been deleted. But that results only in a red slash through the button that opens the other end of the transaction when the Transfer column is active:

And an error message that drops down from the top of the window:

If the text of this error message actually appears in the Transfer column, you could search for such transactions by going to the All Transactions register, click the magnifying glass in the search box, restrict the search to the Transfer column and enter part of this message's text. 
  • JannE
    JannE Member ✭✭
    Thanks! I was able to at least isolate these transactions and delete the comment so that they show up on the reports.

I am going to try to add a screen shot of one transaction. 99% of the transactions are from Amazon.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    That seems weird to me. A download from a financial institution cannot know about your other accounts in Quicken, so it would never have transfer information.

However, if you had one such transaction in your Quicken database, and each subsequent transaction applies the same rule, it could be just repeating the same problem each time.

First, let's clarify that in Quicken Mac, transactions(or split lines of a transaction) can have a Category or a Transfer, but not both simultaneously. In this case, you have a Category for your Amazon purchase, so there should be no Transfer.

Next, open Window > Payees& Rules, click on the Rules tab, and look at what QuickFill rules may exist for Amazon. I'm wondering if this improperly coded transaction is memorized as a QuickFill rule that is being applied each time you download another Amazon transaction.
  • JannE
    JannE Member ✭✭
    Thanks! Yes, the rules did include a transfer, which was probably the reason why I had all those errors. I made the change. Thank you all so much!
  • JannE
    JannE Member ✭✭
    It must have repeated from a previous transaction, as I haven't made a rule like that for Amazon.
  • jacobs
    Here are three quick tips on managing QuickFill rules:

(1) In Quicken Preferences Register, you can set whether you want QuickFill rules created by default as you enter transactions.

(2) Whether you set this preference on or off, you can override it on every transaction in the Category field, where the option to create a QuickFill rule on that transaction pops up above the field.

It will be either checked or unchecked according to your default, but you can check/uncheck it on any transaction.

(3) In the QuickFill Rules screen the last option gives you the opportunity to lock a rule:

I find this useful for Payees like Amazon, where I create a rule with no Category, and then lock it. When the next Amazon transaction comes along, I pick a category and record a memo and amount -- but the locked rule prevents what I just entered from updating the rule. Thus every Amazon transaction starts out uncategorized for me, which is my preference. (Conversely, if you primarily buy groceries or household goods at Amazon, you might prefer to have a Category in your locked QuickFill rule, so each new Amazon transaction defaults to that Category.)
  • RickO
    @jacobs said:
    First, let's clarify that in Quicken Mac, transactions(or split lines of a transaction) can have a Category or a Transfer, but not both simultaneously. 
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but a transaction can have both a category and a transfer as shown here:

• jacobs
    @RickO  You're right; I'm mistaken. For now. ;) I thought they had disabled this, but it apparently hasn't happened yet. The product manager has said they will make this change because it's improper from an accounting standpoint. Allowing transactions to be Transfers and also have Categories was apparently a design compromise that originated back in Quicken Essentials, which lacked reporting and budgeting capabilities that have been added to Quicken in the past couple years. But Marcus said that the decision to remove this accounting no-no had been made by Quicken executives:
    "Our leadership team has decided that categories on transfers violates core accounting principals that our products should be based on and we are slowly removing this functionality from the Mac but haven't done it yet because we needed to add the advanced transfer, adjustment and cash flow capabilities we just added in 5.13 and 5.14.  We're now working on improving Transfer and mortgage payment support in budgets.  Once this is complete, we will start the process of removing the ability to add a category to a transfer."

So, to state it correctly: you probably shouldn't have a transaction with a Category and a Transfer, even though Quicken currently allows it; it won't allow it in the future. 

• tom-l
    tom-l Member
    RickO said he wanted a screen shot. I did have the "account not synced" , however this was a simple transaction In 'quick rules' this individual had several designations only time I paid him form venmo. I can't understand why here (and only in this account) did i get this message
    I have tried to include screen shot
  • RickO
    Please turn on the Transfer column in the register (menu View > Columns) and take another screenshot as you did before. 
This discussion has been closed.