Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I change an account number for a credit card?

With card numbers being stolen frequently and the credit card company just changing my account number, I've run into an issue with not being able to change the account number on a credit card. On the edit account screen, the account number is greyed out. I want to change just the account number and nothing else as the card company has transferred charges, payments, etc to the new account number. If I close the old account and set up a new one, this history will not be there, and it is quite an extensive list (my Amazon Chase Visa card). I have done this before so I don't understand why I can't do it now.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    Then:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit account details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove the account number shown in the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up now > follow the prompts.
    During the set up process Quicken might ask you what to do with the data downloaded by the credit card company.  Be sure to Link it to your existing credit card account in Quicken.
    Also, during this set up process Quicken might enter transactions that are duplicates of what is already in the register.  This would be a 1X occurrence.  Duplicate files will need to be manually deleted.
    Once this process is completed your account in Quicken will have the new credit card account number assigned to it.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.19 on Windows 10)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Accepted Answer
    Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    Then:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit account details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove the account number shown in the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up now > follow the prompts.
    During the set up process Quicken might ask you what to do with the data downloaded by the credit card company.  Be sure to Link it to your existing credit card account in Quicken.
    Also, during this set up process Quicken might enter transactions that are duplicates of what is already in the register.  This would be a 1X occurrence.  Duplicate files will need to be manually deleted.
    Once this process is completed your account in Quicken will have the new credit card account number assigned to it.
  • Worked perfectly! Thank you!
  • vdelclos
    vdelclos Member
    Where do I find Accounts Register
    , Gear Icon, etc?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    the "Accounts Register" is where you record transactions for an account.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Boatnmaniac
    vdelclos said:
    Where do I find Accounts Register
    , Gear Icon, etc?
    As an alternative to going to the Account Register, you can also access the Account Details by opening the Account List and then clicking on the Edit button for the account in question.