Net Worth Reported all Wrong

When I look at my NetWorth report on my Home Screen, it is reported all weird, especially under the Investments section. It kind of seems like the NetWorth report is reporting the value as Cost Basis?? And it does not reflect the actual value of these accounts.

However, when I look at my NetWorth in the Property & Debt tab, it is reporting it correctly. Is there any reason why this is happening?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @f_stopblues

I think that you may need to change a setting.  It is likely you've inadvertently have set the report to not include unrealized gains, which would be similar to a "cash basis" reporting. To fix, try this:

1) Go to "Reports" > "Net Worth & Balances" > "Net Worth":
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon at the top of the pop-up window;
    3) Click on the "Advanced" tab;
    4) Select the "Include Unrealized Gains" box:
    4) Click "OK"

That should do it.  Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• f_stopblues
    f_stopblues Member ✭✭
    I actually do have this box checked. So the weird thing is, If I have the Net Worth report generated on an ad hoc basis, it reports it correctly, but the Net worth displayed on my Home page is incorrect, and uses this "cost basis" method
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @f_stopblues,

So just to make sure I understand - the total net worth report shown on "my Home page" is less than the report generated by the Net Worth report?  If that is the case, (and especially if the difference is significant) it sounds like your data file may be corrupted.  You may want to validate your data file by following the guidance located here LINK.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The user has the option to customize a Home screen view to include (among others) a "Net Worth by Assets and Liability" view which presents a graph of net worth over a selected time period.  Is this what you are referring to as being incorrect?

That view offers a separate customize option - upper right of the view.  Does that include all accounts and all securities?

Options for that customization will also take you to a more complete report.  how does that report differ from the report provided through the Reports menu selection?

Finally,
    "It kind of seems like the NetWorth report is reporting the value as Cost Basis?? " 

That is a pretty vague statement -- "kind of seems like" "??"  Using the above customize info, can you be more specific?

• WordStar
    WordStar Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I think that the net worth report generator has been ruined! I need to be able to select accounts as well as categories. Furthermore, I'm finding that certain unchecked categories are still appearing on the report. These are serious changes from the report generators of the last 10 years or so that I have been using Quicken. I am a CPA and can no longer generate the reports I need. I'll have to transfer account/category data to a spreadsheet. [removed - rant/off-topic]
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes the items on the home screen views get "stuck" in a bad state.
    The items are under your control. In this case, I suggest customizing the view, removing the Net Worth item from your home screen, and adding it back in. This should force Quicken to recalculate it properly.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JB262
    JB262 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    I have a similar issue. My Net Worth Report works fine if the report interval is set to "None", but when set to anything else, the cash balance in my 401K account is over by $2.5mn starting the second week on 2018. I ran a Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report and it showed the cost basis for the cash balance as correct, but the market value for the cash was $2.5mn over. I'm not sure how that could be off, it's not a security. The net worth on my side panel is correct and I have run validations with no impact. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • scdowdle1974
    scdowdle1974 Member ✭✭
    I had the same issue. I removed it from the main view, saved the file and closed it. When I opened it back up and added it to the view, it looks correct now.
  • System
    System Member admin