ADP 401k QFX Download doesn't contain contributions

Options
I'm able to download my 401k purchases from ADP Retirement Services, but the cash contributions are not part of the download and when importing into Quicken I'm showing a negative cash balance.

I know there's a way to manually add cash transactions but this is kind of a pain for each paycheck, especially retroactively. Is there anyway to just show the asset position value or have the contributions included automatically so that gains/losses can be calculated?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    401ks typically don't show the contributions-you have to manually show the inflow of cash (be it your contribution or employer) to reflect what covers the resulting Buys.

Most of us setup our paycheck as a split transaction for showing gross pay, less all the various deductions to give your net pay amount. Your 401k contributions would be a transfer from that split over to your ADP 401k account. Set it up as a scheduled transaction.

This might be sound like a bit of work, but once you take the time to do it, you will be glad you did. 

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @cliffhelsel1,

How are you currently recording your paychecks?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    401ks typically don't show the contributions-you have to manually show the inflow of cash (be it your contribution or employer) to reflect what covers the resulting Buys.

Most of us setup our paycheck as a split transaction for showing gross pay, less all the various deductions to give your net pay amount. Your 401k contributions would be a transfer from that split over to your ADP 401k account. Set it up as a scheduled transaction.

This might be sound like a bit of work, but once you take the time to do it, you will be glad you did. 
This discussion has been closed.