My balances are wildly off! I can't trust Quicken anymore!

Options
I'm not new to Quicken. I've used Quicken for Mac for years and years and years. Moved to Quicken for Windows two months ago and nothing but trouble. Every time I open Quicken (about once a week) the balance on Peoples Bank or on Capital One (or both) shows as wildly different than the real balance. Today I opened and Peoples Bank shows NEGATIVE $42,000!!. True balance is a positive $1,300. So a difference of forty-three THOUSAND dollars. This has happened 3 times now. This first time I adjusted my 'opening' balance and got it back to normal. The second time was a smaller difference, again I did an adjustment of about $600 (still a large discrepancy). This time it shows me in the red at $42,000! Another time it gave me all my recent transactions doubled -- I had to delete several dozen duplicates. Sometimes it will load new transactions for some accounts, but not others, but still says it is up to date. I cannot trust Quicken anymore! Somebody please advise?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a wild guess ... your problem may be caused by the Quicken Sync to cloud process.

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    2. Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• Sunny
    Sunny Member
    Options
    Hello -- I appreciate your response. I do have the app installed on my iPhone, and interestingly, all the bank balances show correctly on the phone. So, on my laptop, I went to Edit/Preferences/Mobile-Web and chose Reset. Then I logged out, and back in. Balances did not change. On my phone the balances are still correct. Any further suggestions?

I feel this is probably the right track, but I'm also wondering -- once items are loaded onto my computer, are they now resident on my laptop and must be corrected manually?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sunny said:
    Hello -- I appreciate your response. I do have the app installed on my iPhone, and interestingly, all the bank balances show correctly on the phone. So, on my laptop, I went to Edit/Preferences/Mobile-Web and chose Reset. Then I logged out, and back in. Balances did not change. On my phone the balances are still correct. Any further suggestions?

I feel this is probably the right track, but I'm also wondering -- once items are loaded onto my computer, are they now resident on my laptop and must be corrected manually?

Before attempting to restore a Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of the Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

This other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud accountappropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • Sunny
    Sunny Member
    Options
    ok, just to be sure I understand. I see 2 cloud accounts associated with my quicken ID. You are saying to delete the cloud account that is my REAL one, and then rename the not-real one that is empty (?) with the name of the original account.... correct? And then what? Will I have blank accounts or will the same info that is on my phone populate on my laptop? or will the info on my phone become blank?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sunny said:
    ok, just to be sure I understand. I see 2 cloud accounts associated with my quicken ID. You are saying to delete the cloud account that is my REAL one, and then rename the not-real one that is empty (?) with the name of the original account.... correct? And then what? Will I have blank accounts or will the same info that is on my phone populate on my laptop? or will the info on my phone become blank?
    Just delete the REAL one and immediately restore the Quicken file backup ( open an earlier copy of the Quicken File).  Quicken should automatically recreate the cloud account.