My data disappeared. What do I do?

I am a subscriber and have been for 5 years. I logged in to the Quicken icon as usual on my PC. An 'Update' icon came up momentarily with the bar filling in. The update icon stopped. When the Quicken icon opened all my data had disappeared. The info for a brand new set came up. What do I do?

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    I assume the "icon" you're referring to is on your desktop or in your Start menu; in other words, what you click on to start the program.
    The "icon" isn't what controls what file shows up when you start the program, the program itself "remembers" the last file used and opens that file automatically at startup.  So start the program and click "File."  You should see your data file listed at the bottom of the "File" drop down list, so select that file and open it.  If you then close Quicken, Quicken will open that file at next startup.
    If, for whatever reason, your data file isn't listed, then click File > Backup and Restore > Restore Backup File... and find that 12/15/20 backup.  That will then become the "last file used" and will open automatically at next startup.
  • cmartz1
    cmartz1 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you! I appreciate your help.
    Great to know that there is a Quicken Community with lots of experience for us novices.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if you go up to File - Open or Check if your data file is listed at the bottom of the File box?  Did you check your hard drive for files ending in .qdf?  Should be in your Documents then in the Quicken folder.  You might have to restore a backup.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• cmartz1
    cmartz1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the response. I backed up my data on 12/15/20 and have it stored in a backup folder and in the Dropbox. I did not get back to entering data until today. That's when I found the error on my Quicken icon. The field that opens up is a set up starter page but no data.
    Now, silly as it sounds, how do I transfer the backup file to the Quicken icon so that it shows up when I click on it?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    I assume the "icon" you're referring to is on your desktop or in your Start menu; in other words, what you click on to start the program.
    The "icon" isn't what controls what file shows up when you start the program, the program itself "remembers" the last file used and opens that file automatically at startup.  So start the program and click "File."  You should see your data file listed at the bottom of the "File" drop down list, so select that file and open it.  If you then close Quicken, Quicken will open that file at next startup.
    If, for whatever reason, your data file isn't listed, then click File > Backup and Restore > Restore Backup File... and find that 12/15/20 backup.  That will then become the "last file used" and will open automatically at next startup.
  • cmartz1
    cmartz1 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you! I appreciate your help.
    Great to know that there is a Quicken Community with lots of experience for us novices.
This discussion has been closed.