I have a question about Quicken Deluxe

cwgear
cwgear Member
My question is this, how do you get balances to show in the Checking account?, How do you get the check # to show in the same account?

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In Quicken for Windows, click on the gear icon to choose which columns to display:

Also, CTRL+2 will toggle between 1 and 2 row register layouts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    In Quicken for Windows, click on the gear icon to choose which columns to display:

Also, CTRL+2 will toggle between 1 and 2 row register layouts.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    Are you using Quicken Windows or Mac? I see Windows in your profile. Just want to confirm.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • cwgear
    cwgear Member
    I am using Qicken for Window's 10. What do I do after clicking the Gear wheel?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clicking on the gear icon should cause a dropdown list of the possible columns, you then checkmark the ones that you want displayed.

• cwgear
    cwgear Member
    How do I get the windows version to display thee balance, an the check number, The answer last time was to click on the gear tooth wheel, but what do I do after that. It brings a sub-menu up, what do I do then? I have clicked various options but each of them have sub-menus!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Display them in the account register?  Did you click on an individual account on the side bar? Maybe you are clicking on the wrong gear wheel.  There are at least 3 gears.

To add or remove columns to the register
    Select "Account Actions"   

Select "Register Columns..."   

Or in newer versions you can click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the account register to get a list of available columns. Click to put a checkmark in the missing column(s). (Also explore the new columns, added to your version of Quicken, if they might be helpful for your needs.)   

How to customize an Account Register in Windows 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-customize-my-register-quicken-windows

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    Are the columns showing in your register but are blank?  If you are not showing a balance column then you might first need to select an individual account in the side bar.  

Is the register sorted in Date order?  You might not get a balance if it's sorted by something else.  Click on the DATE column heading to sort by date.  You can click it again to toggle it and reverse the order.  You should have it sorted with the newest current date at the Bottom of the register.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure that you are clicking on the correct gear icon.  The correct one displays a dropdown list of the columns which you can turn on/off.

• volvogirl
    You don't get a drop down list like this?  Are you scrolling all the way to the right to see the gear wheel?

• I have a similar problem. I do not see the gear icon as show in the last picture. and clicking on the Register Columns does not give me choices to select and deselect the columns to view.
  • Screenshot attached
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JustBeingMe999
    Wrong gear icon, check first screenshot.  It is the one just below the "Balance column header.
    BTW, what type of account?   Which edition of Quicken?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    @JustBeingMe999
    Wrong gear icon, check first screenshot. 
    I don't know what is wrong, but the menu item (Register columns...) he selected should have given the same menu. 
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I am having the same problem with the register. I click on the gear and it doesn't allow me to add or change the columns.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version (year and release number) of Quicken are you using? The latest Quicken has replaced the gear with a little symbol intended to represent columns.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• I am using Quicken Deluxe download for Windows; I have a subscription. I can see the gear, but when I click on the word Register or the gear next to it, nothing happens. I have removed and downloaded, but no help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Teresa1959 Have you tried clicking on the icon that @Rocket J Squirrel indicated?

Also it will help if you give the version you are using, select Help -> About Quicken

There does seem to be a problem for some people using the one in the menu that comes up when you use the "gear icon".

In the newest versions of Quicken, from R31.5 they changed the "bottom gear" icon to this icon.

This should popup this menu:

Neither you or @JustBeingMe999 have indicated if this way of bring up the menu works or not.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I am using 2020 Deluxe version R31.8. When I click on the gear icon, it doesn't do anything. It doesn't open up the menu above. I also don't have the column icon.
  • The gear icon for register does not work and I don't have the columns. Thank you for your help