Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

After the R30.14 update, One Step Update overwrites payees and categories [Edited]

Answers

• rick17rick17 Member ✭✭
    This is the exact issue I am having, I am livid. I have spoken with support VIA chat for several hours. We ran through all obvious validating, super validating, resetting cloud data and more. When I one step update if I see the words "Your data is being synced to our improved cloud services..." in a separate box I lose all of my memos and all of my categories for years. I have duplicated this issue numerus times, I am on the 5th new file in a WEEK having to restore backups each time. After talking to support and reenabling the cloud services it did SYNC several days just fine but this morning I saw the BOX again and instantly knew in 45 seconds all my data would be gone and it WAS.

My only advice is IF you find resolve DO NOT trust it.

R
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue. Although I apologize for any confusion or frustration that this issue has caused.

An official bug ticket has been opened and this issue is currently being investigated. There is no ETA available at this time, however, we are working as quickly as possible towards a solution.

Thank you for your patience, this post will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

CTP-1394
    ~~~***~~~
  • JimRQuickJimRQuick Member ✭✭
    Going to "Mobile & Web" and turning SYNC off seemed to work for me. I didn't know it was on. I never use Quicken Mobile app or web access. I turned SYNC off, re-enabled the credit card account that was being corrupted, and had normal operation when I did One Step Update of all accounts. Fingers crossed!
  • Thank you @Quicken_Tyka.
    Before starting this thread, I did do "help / report a problem," and submitted a sanitized data set. I also phoned tech support.
  • @JimRQuick like you, I didn't know that SYNC was on; I don't use Quicken Mobile or web access. There is apparently a difference between SYNC off and choosing to sync 0 accounts.
  • ERedERed Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > There are a few of ways to copy transactions between  Quicken files.  I suggest using QIF files.  If you haven't already, you may want to review:
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004
    >
    > Remember to delete the cloud account before opening the Quicken files as they have the same file identifier.

Thanks again for your help. I've read through the references you gave.

Is there a way to only export the transactions that have been messed up? I'm trying to determine how many 'duplicate' transactions will be created that I will need to delete. So, if there is a way to locate and ONLY create the QIF with those my extra work might be easier.

Also, would the QXF file be the better option? I was reading through some of the pages and they seem to suggest this is the more updated files type to use.

On a side note, how are you able to get the fancy look quote boxes? I can't seem to find that option.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ERed said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > There are a few of ways to copy transactions between  Quicken files.  I suggest using QIF files.  If you haven't already, you may want to review:
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004
    >
    > Remember to delete the cloud account before opening the Quicken files as they have the same file identifier.

Thanks again for your help. I've read through the references you gave.

Is there a way to only export the transactions that have been messed up? I'm trying to determine how many 'duplicate' transactions will be created that I will need to delete. So, if there is a way to locate and ONLY create the QIF with those my extra work might be easier.

Also, would the QXF file be the better option? I was reading through some of the pages and they seem to suggest this is the more updated files type to use.

On a side note, how are you able to get the fancy look quote boxes? I can't seem to find that option.
    You may move the transactions that have been messed up to a temporary account you then export.

QXF file export has functional limitations which is why I suggested using QIF files.

When you accumulate sufficient points in the community, you get more privileges: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849424/introducing-community-ranks#latest
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Keith KKeith K Member
    I've turned off syncing and deleted the cloud account using a new Quicken file per Sherlock's recommendation. So far so good. I'm glad I was saving the Quicken file to alternate location each time I finished a session along with regular backups. I notice the downloads from my accounts have changed and seem to be more reliable. Too soon to tell if everything is solved yet. I wasn't using the cloud sync information or the android app so nothing lost for me.
  • As a Quicken user of over 30 years, I find this lack of QC annoying. I simply turned off the Mobile & Web Sync, deleted the Cloud file, restored from a automated backup from about a week ago, reran One Step Update and reentered the categories and memos for the interval. A pain but not a disaster. I really would recommend Intuit not only fix this quickly, but think they should disable the automated "upgrade" until it works reliably and notify users of the risk. I don't plan to reenable this feature until they tell me they have it fixed.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    DWSeekins said:
    As a Quicken user of over 30 years, I find this lack of QC annoying. I simply turned off the Mobile & Web Sync, deleted the Cloud file, restored from a automated backup from about a week ago, reran One Step Update and reentered the categories and memos for the interval. A pain but not a disaster. I really would recommend Intuit not only fix this quickly, but think they should disable the automated "upgrade" until it works reliably and notify users of the risk. I don't plan to reenable this feature until they tell me they have it fixed.
    This is not Intuit's responsibility to fix: https://www.quicken.com/about-us/press/quicken-completes-acquisition-hig-capital-and-outlines-vision  Intuit still maintains the Express Web Connect servers but the rest is on Quicken Inc. and the other service providers.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the community.

Our teams have been investigating this behavior and are working to create a solution that they anticipate will be included in an upcoming hot fix.

In the meantime, this post is being moved to the Alerts & Known Product Issues category and will be update as soon as more information and/or a solution is available.

To automatically receive any updates as they become available, be sure to "bookmark" this thread by clicking the yellow star icon in the upper right.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

A fix for this behavior is included with the R30.19 HF3 now available in staged format to a limited number of users.

This fix is to avoid users experiencing this issue in the future, however for users who may have already experienced this issue, please install the R30.19 release and restore a backup of the file where the categories are correct.

In the backup file, run a One Step Update, with or without the cloud sync active.

If transactions are not categorized when expected, check if any Payee is selected for ‘Never Auto Categorize’ in the Memorized Payee List, those Payee’s will not be categorized. 

If you do not receive a prompt in Quicken to install the R30.19 release, it is also available by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch available here.

Please reply here to let us know how it goes and if issues with the categories or other transaction data disappearing persists.

Thank you,

Sarah

[edited to provide additional information, QS]
  • bprocknowbprocknow Member ✭✭
    I didn't have the option to download the update so installed the Mondo Patch. After installing the patch, my Quicken Deluxe version was:
    R30.14
    Build 27.1.30.14
    so I don't know if that was correct. I went ahead and turned cloud sync back on and ran One Step Update and it still messed up all my bank and credit card data.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The 30.19 mondo patch has not yet been added to the updates page as I write this. But you can get it here:
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    The 30.19 mondo patch has not yet been added to the updates page as I write this. But you can get it here:
    Quicken has requested an update to 30.19 but there are no release notes for it.
    Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • jmh1212jmh1212 Member ✭✭
    Installed the 30.19 patch above. Ran sync and still losing categories in memorized transactions. Categories being lost are those for other accounts (categories in brackets)
  • Quicken SangeethaSQuicken SangeethaS Employee ✭✭✭✭
    @jmh1212 Did you restore from a backup file which had the categories? The fix is to ensure that we don't remove categories any more. But if the file already has removed categories, you have to restore from backup and the fix will ensure that they don't get lost anymore. 
  • TJ102TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I opened a new Question related to this. My registers are all screwed up. Balances off, transactions missing or out of order, transfers not matching up and missing, all through my accounts....what a mess. I do not use Mobile, have sync set to off, haven't used the cloud, as all I've done is download transactions from my CU. NOTHING else that should have affected datasets  or the cloud what so ever!
  • SmoothieusaSmoothieusa Member ✭✭
    TJ102, ditto. Registers got messed up big time with same problems plus MPL constantly getting messed up. Took hours to repair. Although we do not intend to do a sync, I think desktop syncs to Quicken cloud regardless during one step update. I fix the MPL, turn off sync, have Q set to memorize new payees and later the MPL is messed up again from some database Q has stored somewhere. Resetting cloud data after fixing MPL hasn't helped as MPL returns to the messed up state.

Q SangeethaS asks did you restore from a backup file which had the categories? Fact is all my backups had categories assigned to transactions, to Bill Reminder transactions, and to payees in the MPL. I keep only the most recent backups. So what is a person supposed to do if there is no backup from when Q was working without messed up account registers and MPL? That was a few months ago. What good is a patch that purportedly contains MPL fix if the user also needs a nonexistent backup file from months ago for the patch to work at fixing the MPL?

And if there were a backup file uncorrupted by Q, then wouldn't all transactions in most accounts since the backup need to be redownloaded, entered, reviewed, and reconciled? Quicken needs a better fix then reverting to an outdated backup. Why won't Q just let us fix our MPL, reset the cloud data with data from the desktop (including repaired MPL) and let us sync to the cloud so everything works as it should? Is there a corrupt or old data file somewhere on the desktop version or in the cloud that Q isn't mentioning? This is not a new problem for users. It's ongoing for months. Eric Dunn, let's get this fixed!
    @SangeethaS I was fixing one of the categories in the Memorized Transaaction List by hand and then resyncing. The one I corrected was disappearing.

Subsequently I have
    1. Deleted my cloud file
    2. Resynched from the web&mobile tab which produced many errors.
    3. Cleared the cloud file
    4. Resynched again.

The corrected category is no longer disappearing.

The only problem I am seeing now is that Memorized transactions marked to be in a Scheduled Transaction Group are being dropped randomly.
  • TJ102TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I had corruption, notified Quicken, they did or said nothing except that I must have screwed up...that was 1 month, yes I said 1 month before it became i huge issue with others, so I notified them and they knew about it way before the ceiling came down. I tried fixing it myself with restored files, until I locked up my data sets, now no more restores left for me. Today...missing transaction all over the place, including transfers. I have about 12 house in the clean up of Quicken mess, with more to do. I have never dealt with a company as bad as Quicken. I just do not understand how they even stay in business. I'm going to manual transactions downloads, jsut like one of the super users told me I should do because that is what he does. then next year I'm going to starter edition (all I need is to be able to load my transactions, and do reports. If it's no better after that I'm outta here. I've spent more time looking work arounds on their screwups. so much so I've probably have 5 times more time in, then if I'd just used a stenographers notebook like my father did. My wife's fed up too, we've spent all of Covid 19 locked down together, but I never see her because I spent so much time trying to get my banking transactions straightened out in Quicken.  After today, also issues with transactions and their order in my register. they're all rearranged, so much so that changing sort options can't correct. Numbers everywhere except where they should be in my registers, wrong accounts, missing, transfers in wrong accounts, all totals columns not the same... and all I've done is use express web connect! Incredible, just incredible. A mess with 20 years worth of transactions!
    @SangeethaS The category was not disappearing in the memorized transactions after several synchs. However, I just brought Quicken up again and looked and the categories on some memorized transactions have again disappeared. Again, this seems to be on transactions that are moving money to other accounts rather than posting against a traditional category.
  • wfyanowfyano Member ✭✭
    So I installed the patch, and still see the same issue with memorized transactions, and scheduled transactions. I did not restore a file from months ago when the issue started. But had a good qdata file which I had spent hours correcting, and I copied it off as a backup. Turned on sync and immediately issue reoccurring. Went back to file i copied earlier and all is good, but sync is again off. This needs fixed, I have spent hours with support last week and they did not tell me this was a known issue. I had to find myself by searching here.
  • wfyanowfyano Member ✭✭
    Update. Tried again but first reset cloud account before I did sync. Issues still exist
  • ERedERed Member ✭✭
    Having walked away from the problem for a few weeks, I'm now getting back to it. It seems the current consensus is that the problem is still not fixed for all users. I just had an auto-update happen today to version R30.21. Is anyone seeing the problem fixed in that version yet?

As I've dug deeper into the problem, not only have I found transactions lose their categorizations, but they also have switched categories, removed memos, and removed tags. This is a hard one to unravel.

Rolling back to a 'clean' backup file as suggested is not a great option since many transactions have been recorded correctly since then some of which would be just as impossible to recreate.

Looks like I'm going to spend the time to manually fix the broken transactions with the correct data and try to move forward.
  • tyeeetyeee Member ✭✭
    I had the auto update yesterday. It did not fix the issue. I still have the same problem. I would like to know what the last two recent updates actually did. They certainly didn't address the major problem so many users are having. I continue to have to RESET cloud data daily. It will work once or twice then fails again. After a OSU, and then when I sync cloud data, it will fail again. So frustrating.
  • SmoothieusaSmoothieusa Member ✭✭
    Where is the old data that is continuously corrupting MPL coming from if cloud has been reset using desktop info only, the MPL in Quicken desktop has been reworked and saved locally after Q messed it up, and cloud sync is turned off? There must be a corrupted file or database of information in the cloud that is not reset (although we are led to believe it is) or saved locally somewhere on hard drive in a Quicken desktop file retaining old information or corrupted programming affecting MPL. I have given up on cloud sync and using the mobile app until this long known problem is fixed. Hoping Quicken wasn't hacked.
  • richrich Member ✭✭
    I also (and still for several versions) have this problem (now on quicken for windows 2020 R30.21)
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting that you continue to experience issues with the payees and categories being overwritten during the One Step Update.

If you have followed the provided steps by installing the R30.21 release, restoring a backup copy where the payees/categories are correct and still experience the data being overwritten during One Step Update, our teams request that you please go to the Help menu and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, enter "Update Issues" in the subject line, select the boxes for every file listed, including a sanitized data file copy and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Sanitizing a data file removes all personally identifiable information including financial institution credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • TJ102TJ102 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This afternoon I went to my CU did an account transfer from my checking account to Visa Account (Payoff). Tonight I did an update and the money was transferred from the wrong account (a savings account instead of the checking and it was correct on the CU side, but mistake on Quicken side)), plus a transactions from 12-08-2020 was moved in the register with the date of 9-02-2025. (2 SCREW UPS)