CMA account description field shows the payee?

I have an investment cash management account (at Fidelity). When I send a payment via this account, the transaction downloads with the payee's name and some other info displayed in the "security" field in the register. That is fine. But that same payee info is displayed in the description field of the register with a 1-line display. If I click on the txn it opens up into a 2-line display and there I can see the description that I previously entered, along with the category that I assigned. But as soon as I click elsewhere and that txn reverts to the 1-line display, the description field (and the security field) shows the payee info. Is it supposed to work this way or do I have something set up wrong?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Charlie@

What you are seeing is what happens when you have the account setup for "One Line" display.  If you would like to have the "Two Line" display instead (which I believe works better especially with a CMA type account) do this:

1) Open the account register;
    2) Click on the "Gear" Icon in the upper right of the screen;
    3) In the drop down menu - click on "register preferences" (it's near the bottom):
    4) On the right side of the pop-up - for "List diaplay" select  "Two line"
    5) Click "OK".

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Yes I understand the two line display. I just think it is a problem that it shows the wrong information in the description field in the one line display. If that is indeed the normal behavior, how can that be acceptable?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again, @Charlie@

I now realize that I may not have answered your question. 

The answer is "Yes, when you select the one-line display, that is how Quicken displays the 2 lines of information - i.e. it is truncated.  To avoid that and see all the information - simply set the display to a "two line" display (per the instructions already provided."

Have a good night and a wonderful 2021!

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -