New Set Up Only 3 months Direct Access Wells Fargo Need Other 9 months Data

mjbech
mjbech Member
Wells Fargo allows the viewing of 300 transactions per page on their website. So the direct access only transferred the last 3 months of transactions (or the last 300 transactions) into Quicken. I have about 800 more transactions and the direct download does not pick up all the transactions. I was able to download the CSV file for 1/1/20 to 9/30/20 and imported them into my account. It showed up as a separate account. And no Payee or Category information was transferred. Also the amount came in Negative. How do I Direct Access a date range (1/1-12/31) and get access in quicken to the entire years worth. Quicken does a nice job of removing all the extraneous characters like PURCHASE AUTHORIZED ON 09/28 PEDROTTI ACE HARDWARE BENICIA CA P00460272626783920 CARD 2893 so the entries are nice and clean. Quicken also creates a category for most transactions that are pretty spot on.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The transactions you can download are determined by your financial institution, not Quicken. But 90 days is what most banks provide. 

If your financial institution provides a way to download a QFX file, that can often contain a year's worth of transactions. If you do this and import it into Quicken, you'll like end up with some duplicates you'll need to go through and eliminate. I'm not even sure how you managed to import from a  CSV file, as it's not supported -- and as you've seen, it really didn't import in a useful way.

If you are unable to download an import a QFX file from Well Fargo, your only alternative if you want to a complete record of 2020 in Quicken would be to enter transactions (or some lesser, summary version of them) manually for the other 9 months of last year.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I bank with Wells Fargo and they do offer Web Connect (QFX) downloads from their web site;
    Checking and Savings - up to 18 months history.
    Visa Card - last 120 days history.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To change the category of a group of transactions:
    1. Select the transactions by whatever technique is appropriate, such as using the Search box, or by sorting by a column and then selecting a range of transactions.
    2. Right click (control click) on the selected transactions and choose Get Info from the context menu. OR simply type Command-I.
    3. Enter the new Category in the indicated field.
    4. Click OK button
    I hope this helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • lhossus
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:
    The limitation here -- which may be significant or inconsequential, depending on your data and what you're trying to change -- is that this search and relace only works on categories for non-split transactions. It will not touch categories in splits. 
    Since the transactions in question were downloaded, they are not split. 

But I agree that it is appropriate to point out the limitations of the tool in case someone tries to apply it to another dataset. Thanks.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    lhossus said:
    Many users create splits in their transactions after downloading. Some downloaded transactions can be matched to manually-entered transactions that contain splits. Some downloaded transactions may apply QuickFill Rules which contain splits. None of those may be an issue here, but as you say, I thought it was worth noting lest anyone run into problems not knowing split transactions can't be changed in the Transaction Info window.

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    The transactions you can download are determined by your financial institution, not Quicken. But 90 days is what most banks provide. 

If your financial institution provides a way to download a QFX file, that can often contain a year's worth of transactions. If you do this and import it into Quicken, you'll like end up with some duplicates you'll need to go through and eliminate. I'm not even sure how you managed to import from a  CSV file, as it's not supported -- and as you've seen, it really didn't import in a useful way.

If you are unable to download an import a QFX file from Well Fargo, your only alternative if you want to a complete record of 2020 in Quicken would be to enter transactions (or some lesser, summary version of them) manually for the other 9 months of last year.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I bank with Wells Fargo and they do offer Web Connect (QFX) downloads from their web site;
    Checking and Savings - up to 18 months history.
    Visa Card - last 120 days history.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Gren9999
    Gren9999 Member ✭✭
    I was able to set up export/download for specific date range at another major bank. I set it up as 12/01/2017 to 01/01/2021 even though the bank's default is the last 90 days. I was able to import the QFX file into Quicken with no problem and then sync thereafter.So far so good. Day 2. LOL. You might be able to do the same as WF.
  • mjbech
    mjbech Member
    Thanks to all for the advice. Shortly after I posted my question, logged into my Wells Fargo and set the Wells Fargo download dates to 1/1/20-12/31/20 and selected Quicken and was able to download the QFX version of the data. Originally I clicked on the the (Wed Connect) link which brought me to the page that explains the web connect process instead of the Download button. So all good. I have the entire year loaded into my Quicken account. I also when back to my Jan 1 2020 hardcopy statement and added the beginning balance and added that as a 1/2/20 balance adjustment entry. That brought all the math up to date with my current 12/31/20 balance except was off by a couple hundred dollars compared to my online balance. So I added another adjustment for that amount to make the Quicken account balance match my actual online balance. Someone mentioned there might be a duplicate entry so I will go back into the Quicken transactions to see if there is a duplicate entry causing the issue.
  • mjbech
    mjbech Member
    Another question. Now that all the transactions are in my Quicken account, the program assigns categories to each transaction. Is there a way to globally change a group of payees from one category that Quicken selects to one that matches my accounting categories used as certain business expenses. For example Adobe Creative Cloud picked Electronics and Software AND Best Buy (a retail store that sells electronics). Adobe Creative Cloud is in fact software (a monthly subscription). Best Buy purchase could have been an electronic (Nest thermostat for example). I'd like to create two separate categories "Software" and "Home Improvement". Is there a way to sort all the Adobe Creative Cloud transactions and globally change that category to Software in one click? I have a hundreds of line item category changes to make that matches more closely to my tax prep work I do for my accountant. It would be great to search for certain payees and change the category with one click
  • lhossus
    Answer ✓
    To change the category of a group of transactions:
    1. Select the transactions by whatever technique is appropriate, such as using the Search box, or by sorting by a column and then selecting a range of transactions.
    2. Right click (control click) on the selected transactions and choose Get Info from the context menu. OR simply type Command-I.
    3. Enter the new Category in the indicated field.
    4. Click OK button
    I hope this helps.
  • jacobs
    lhossus said:
    To change the category of a group of transactions…
    The limitation here -- which may be significant or inconsequential, depending on your data and what you're trying to change -- is that this search and relace only works on categories for non-split transactions. It will not touch categories in splits. 
  • lhossus
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:

But I agree that it is appropriate to point out the limitations of the tool in case someone tries to apply it to another dataset. Thanks.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    lhossus said:
    Many users create splits in their transactions after downloading. Some downloaded transactions can be matched to manually-entered transactions that contain splits. Some downloaded transactions may apply QuickFill Rules which contain splits. None of those may be an issue here, but as you say, I thought it was worth noting lest anyone run into problems not knowing split transactions can't be changed in the Transaction Info window.
This discussion has been closed.