how do I adjust securities holding value on an active investing account?

Don St Peter
Don St Peter Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
One of my active Quicken investment accounts, that I download quotes to from my brokerage accounts all the time, is showing securities value in the Quicken account much different that what Brokerage account shows. Is there a way to adjust the securities value as shown in the Quicken account?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important thing is that the share quantity is correct for each security.
    Then it is a matter of the quotes being from the same date in both Quicken and the brokerage.  For the correct quotes to be downloaded into Quicken, the tickers have to be correct.
    It is really just a matter of making sure that all of the basic info is correct and in agreement between the two.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    Thanks for comments Splasher, however share quantity and quotes are correct I have isolated the problem to one particular security causing the problem BRKb. Auto updates works fine on this security with correct quotes. Cask amounts are correct as are all other securities held. I do options trades and all Put/Calls are correct, etc. The "securities held" in the account are off by the difference between the current value minus the amount I paid for the security back in 1999. Still cannot adjust the securities held in the account in quicken to reflect reality. Think my question boils down to " How do I adjust securities value in Quicken to reflect my brokerage account value and not affect anything else?. Sorry for long winded response and Tx again.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to see whether there are one or more hidden Placeholders that are affecting the holding. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is selected.

Post back if you need help resolving the placeholder(s)
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    Thanks for comments. I have previously resolved placeholders for this particular security BRKb and see no problems in that area. What's very confusing is that when I go investing>value, I see the correct market value and cost basis for the BRKb security. But when I highlight the account and the transaction window opens, the total securities value at the bottom shows less securities $$$ balance than my total holdings in BRKb. The Cash and all other securities amounts held match perfectly. The total account balance is off a 10% factor, due to BRKb. I tend to agree that it seems to be a placeholder problem somewhere; and I have spent a lot of time looking for that. The matter is complicated by the fact this particular security has been the subject of old closed accounts and these shares added as a result of new accounts, etc. I would just like to adjust the securities value in the account somehow and move on, problem is I can not seem to get that done. If it was a few $$$ problem I would not be concerned, but it is a 10% difference problem.
    Windy response and thanks for the help.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Try recalculating the register for that account.  Open the account and hit CTL Z.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    Tried recalc with no affect, but Tx for suggestion
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Have you checked to see if there are any Future Dated prices,in your Q, for BRKb.
    TOOLS, Security List, click on your BRKb security name, and click MORE, Edit Price History.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Let's try it another way:

-- If you open the account and click on Holdings, does the number of shares of BRKb match your broker's statement and is the Quote (price per share) also correct? Then the Market Value of the BRKb should also be correct. 

-- But the total at the bottom of the Market Value column is off by exactly the amount you paid for the BRKb? If so, that sounds like the BRKb was Added to the account (which does not affect the cash balance) rather than Bought.

Or perhaps there is a Cash Balance Adjustment associated with the BRKb purchase. This can happen in the process of resolving Placeholders. Make sure once again that the Placeholders are not hidden - this will also make any hidden Cash Balance Adjustments visible - and that they have been resolved and deleted.

Or is the problem different in some way? If so, please explain.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    Price history looks good in response to Not ACPA post.
    Regarding Jim Harman, suggestion/comments. Number of shares match brokerage statement as well as price quotes and is correct. Values reflected in investing>value window showing cost basis and market value are also correct in this view. What is not correct is the total account value. I can also see that when I select the account and the transaction window opens, the securities value of the account, as shown at the bottom is the number that is way off. Matter of fact it shows less $$ value in total securities than holdings in BRKb itself. Cash shown in account in this view also matches brokerage statement exactly. I think I misled earlier in stating securities value is off by exactly what I paid for the BRKb security. The amount that it is off is about 10% of the actual total holdings and is off way more than what I paid for the security. I have doubled and triple checked the Placeholder entries and have checked with hidden placeholders visible. I have confirmed that there is no cash balance adjustment associated with the BRKb purchase. in the transactions list. The only entry for BRKb in the transaction list is the shares added at original price purchased back in 2018. The transaction shows as added since shares were transferred from one investment account to this account.
    I have tried a number of "dummy" entries in the transactions window to correct the account balance to the brokerage firm statement, but to no avail.
    Again, thanks for sticking with me on this!
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried validating your file?  File, file operations, validate and repair.  Pick both the repair option and the one on investment lots. Back Up first.

• Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    Ran file validate as suggested. Few incorrectly categorized transactions found. Nothing found relating to existing problem. If I could make some sort of "dummy" entry to adjust the securities value, without affecting anything else, I would do that. Any suggestions along that line?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The only entry for BRKb in the transaction list is the shares added at original price purchased back in 2018."

Try cutting and pasting back that transaction or deleting it and re-entering it.

• Don St Peter
    Don St Peter Member ✭✭
    I have tried a number of differing entries to no avail, including cutting, pasting etc.. I am now convinced that BKRb is not the problem.

I suspect that the problem is that Quicken does not handle Options trading; which I do regularly in this account. I mostly "sell premium" and wonder if this has anything to do with lower securities values shown in Quicken then in my brokerage account. With Options selling the premium is credited to account cash balance at time of transaction. With time to expiration the Option prices change and value goes to Zero and expires in the best case and total premium collected shows up as Cash in the brokerage account. Option price increases in the worst case and one must usually buy the position back for a higher premium collected, resulting in a net account cash debit of the higher premium (higher than the initial premium collected: a loss in other words). Mind you, that total Cash shown in Quicken matches that of my brokerage account. Perhaps someone out there with such Options trading experience, or someone from Quicken would/could weigh in on this issue. Thanks to all
  • sean97
    sean97 Member
    Don St Peter... I am also an options trader. After letting some worthless options expire in my brokerage account, I am running into the same challenge you are having in thread above... "Cash Balance" in my Quicken register matches the statement from brokerage, but suddenly I have a "Securities Value" (of exactly $10) for a stock/option that I do not hold. Any luck finding resolution??
This discussion has been closed.