New Budget and existing balances

Options
Hello! I'm setting up a new budget in Quicken after using the Every Dollar App from Dave Ramsey for the last few years. I am setting up my categories and some of them have roll over balances from previous months. So for example, we had $100 left over in our grocery category for December that I'd like to carry into January. When I put in the amount for January, it's acting like it's coming out of my income from that month which makes sense but it's not what I'm looking for. Is there a way to set up those amounts as the starting point in the budget before I allocate money from January??

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @MommaLlama  Quicken Mac doesn't currently have the functionality you're seeking to do budget rollovers. There's a longstanding request from customers you can read about in this thread for such functionality to be added. You should add your vote by clicking the gray triangle under the vote count in the blue box.

Meanwhile, the only way to accomplish what you want that I can think of is to manually edit your budget at the end of a month. So you could decrease your December budget for groceries by $100, and increase your January grocery budget (or some other category) by the same amount.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @MommaLlama  Quicken Mac doesn't currently have the functionality you're seeking to do budget rollovers. There's a longstanding request from customers you can read about in this thread for such functionality to be added. You should add your vote by clicking the gray triangle under the vote count in the blue box.

Meanwhile, the only way to accomplish what you want that I can think of is to manually edit your budget at the end of a month. So you could decrease your December budget for groceries by $100, and increase your January grocery budget (or some other category) by the same amount.
  • MommaLlama
    MommaLlama Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs Thank you for the response but I am flabbergasted. I can't believe that isn't a functionality in Quicken. I may have to rethink using it. :(
  • jacobs
    Options
    @jacobs Thank you for the response but I am flabbergasted. I can't believe that isn't a functionality in Quicken. I may have to rethink using it. :(
    Well, for what it's worth, the idea thread I linked is marked as Under Consideration by the developers. They had a lot of changes they needed to make to the budget area of the program, and in the past year, they've delivered on several of the top requests in this area (being able to select accounts to include/exclude from budgets, and being able to select transfers in order to do selective cash-flow budgeting). The two top user requests now regarding budgets are for user-defined dates for budget reports and for rollovers. Progress on new things comes slowly, but at least we're seeing continual improvement over time. ;)
This discussion has been closed.