problem with download of transfer from brokerage account

ed12
ed12 Member ✭✭
I am running Mac Quicken Deluxe using Catalina to automatically download transactions from my Schwab brokerage account, including transfers from Schwab to be deposited in my local bank. These are monthly deposits of dividends, but although the transfer shows up on the Quicken brokerage account it doesn't appear in my Quicken bank account window because the "Description/Category" field on the Schwab account window says "uncategorized". So every month I have to replace that with "Transfer:[bankname]" to get it to appear in the bank window.
Is there anything I can do to get the transfer action to fill in the Description/Category correctly?

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Does defining a QuickFill Rule help?  Not sure if they are applied to downloads.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    I'll try that to see if it helps, but I doubt it will work. It might if I could schedule the transaction, but I don't see a way to do that without conflicting with the download operation. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a month to see what happens.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can create a scheduled transaction, set it for a day or two before the actual transaction will take place, and either manually mark it Paid or set it to do so automatically. When the transaction downloads, Quicken should match the downloaded transaction to the manual one, or you can just drag one onto the other to merge them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for this suggestion.

One question. Will matching transactions work if the scheduled and downloaded transactions have different dollar amounts, either automatically or by dragging one on top of the other?

Ed B

Ps. I tried to reply direct, but that attempt was denied. "Recipient address rejected".
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @ed12  Latter issue first: you can't reply to the email notifications from this platform, as you've discovered.; you have to click the link or Check It Out button to be taken to the post on the forum, where you can then reply. 

As for what will match, that's something of a mystery, because Quicken doesn't disclose what parameters and ranges it uses to determine when transactions match. The proximity of the dates may be important differences in amounts may affect what will or won't auto-match.

I actually do most of my work with manual transactions because I find the clean-up and various issues with downloads makes manual entry just about as easy, so I'm not the best person to address this. But here's a discussion about this issue among Quicken Windows users which may shed some light on the situation -- or not! ;) 

I believe you will be able to do the drag-and-drop merge if the amounts are different and it doesn't auto-match, but if Quicken sees the transactions as being too different, it may not allow them to be merged. I'd say to just try it and see what happens the first time. In the worst-case scenario, you'll just delete the manually-entered one and be back where you started.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ed12
    ed12 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the follow-up info.
This discussion has been closed.