Merge/Move Transactions Between 2 Cash Accounts in Quicken Mac

Options
Gary Willett
Gary Willett Member ✭✭
I recently merged credit card transactions from one (smaller) account to another account in the same ".quicken" data file.

Doing this with credit card transactions was easy using using "select all" in the "from" account register and drag/dropping the transactions into the "to" account on the left sidebar.

With CASH accounts, I can't drag/drop multiple transactions in the "from" cash account to the "to" cash account on the left sidebar. I can only drag/drop one transaction at a time.

Is there another way to do this task.There are 834 transactions to move to the "from" account.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You're welcome. Splits will move just fine, as long as they don't contain the back end of a transfer. In fact, transfers will move just fine as long as they are the front end (eg. the transfer was created in this account). It is only the back end of the transfers that causes the problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks again RickO. I closed the question as “answered”.

Answers

• RickO
    Options
    This should work exactly the same for Cash type accounts as for Credit Card.

Two things to check:

1. Are you sure the accounts are designated as type Cash? Open the account settings to check.

2. Are any of the transactions you've selected Transfers where the Transfer was created in the other account. These cannot be moved. You have to edit the "front end" of the transfer to change the account to which the transfer is made.
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    Options
    RickO: Thanks for your "Quick(en) response! The problem was "transfers" and "splits", not the type of account.

1. I was able to "drag/drop" about 600 of the transactions that did not involve "splits" or "transfers" (about 75% of the total). Yeah!!

2. Of the 200 transactions that were not "drag/droppable", about 150 involved "transfers", and about 50 involved "splits". Editing the "front end" of the transactions was required for both "transfers" and "splits. Which makes sense since one leg of the split was a "transfer".

Thanks again! You saved me a lot of time!
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You're welcome. Splits will move just fine, as long as they don't contain the back end of a transfer. In fact, transfers will move just fine as long as they are the front end (eg. the transfer was created in this account). It is only the back end of the transfers that causes the problem.
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks again RickO. I closed the question as “answered”.
This discussion has been closed.