Online Banking: TRowe portfolios

DJW
DJW Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Home and Business: Build 27.1.30.14

I have multiple 401 accounts (Portfolios) with TRowe. Each of these 3 accounts has multiple investments. I have tried multiple times over the years to Connect Quicken to TRowe. The result has always been an individual account and cash position for for each investment. (Not desirable)

With my Vanguard account following the same steps in Quicken I get one account with multiple investments in that account, with a single cash position. (Desirable)

With the new year I would like to try this again.

Is there a way configure my TRowe accounts to behave like the Vanguard Accounts?
ie; 3 accounts, each account with multiple investments , and a single cash position.
Using Quicken since the 1980's

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a TRP 401(k) account and it works fine in Quicken with multiple securities in the account. For me the Financial institution is set to T. Rowe Price Retirement Plans.

On your 401(k) statement, is there one overall account number, or does it show there with separate account numbers for each security? Make sure you use the overall account number.

If you have been using "T. Rowe Price" or "T. Rowe Price Brokerage" that might account for the difference.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • DJW
    DJW Member ✭✭✭
    Interesting...
    Looking at my Year Ends for 2019 and 2020 I have an 'Investor Number'.

In 2019 it is a 9 character numeric sequence, which is what I believe I have previously used.

In 2020 it is a 7 character alphanumeric sequence. There is also an explanation "a new, single Investor Number that carries across all of your personal investing
    accounts".

This new Investor number is the same for my 2- 401 rollover accounts. The third account is a SEP-IRA account which is handled differently.

I will try the new 2020 Investor ID.

Thanks for the quick response!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the 401(k) rollover accounts actually IRAs? In that case, you are probably not on the 401(k) platform any more and you may be stuck with single mutual fund accounts.

If IRAs, you could roll them over to Vanguard and you would not have this problem.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • DJW
    DJW Member ✭✭✭
    These are 401(k)'s and SEP accounts not IRA's

This time when I tell Quicken (Add Account) my T Rowe credentials I get 3 choices.

(T. Rowe Price Retirement Plans) (SEP)
    (T. Rowe Price)
    (T. Rowe Price Brokerage)

The addition of the retirement plans is a welcome change from last January.
    I successfully set up my T Rowe SEP account. (1 account, multiple Investments)
    (As a side note I was also able to do the same with my Optum HSA distribution account. New this year)

For the 401(k)'s
    Using the Add Account wizard Online Account
    - If I use the (T. Rowe Price Brokerage) I get an error which says I did nothing wrong.

- If I use the (T. Rowe Price) selection I get a listing of all my investments as individual accounts, with a dropdown, one of the dropdown selections is to link to an account. So I created a new Offline Account with No Investments, and tried linking the individual Investments to the new account.

Unfortunately only One Investment per account is allowed by this approach thru the wizard.

Next I hand entered all the investments in the Offline account and tried to link the account. Again I got the listing of the individual investments, Again I was only able to link one investment to the account.

In closing;
    (T. Rowe Price Retirement Plans) Quicken allows multiple investments in one account.
    (T. Rowe Price) Quicken requires one investment per account.

Would be nice if T Rowe and Quicken addressed this one way or the other.
  • DJW
    DJW Member ✭✭✭
    @ Jim_Harman
    Thanks for your help!