Mutual fund dollars gain for 2021 only.

How to show the $'s gained for a mutual fund for the current year only?

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "gain" here but I'd look at Reports > Investing > Investment Income, customized to include only 2020 and the one particular security you're interested in.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Try Reports > Investing Activity 
    Date range Year to date
    Click the gear at the top right and select just the securities and/or accounts you want
    The net change in value is at the bottom of the Activity section

This will include any deposits or withdrawals you have made.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Also, on Portfolio views (Ctrl-U), you can set the beginning date for some return figures to a date of your choosing (1/1/2021).  See the Options / Portfolio Preferences.  Just be clear with yourself as to which measures are changed.  For example, Gain/Loss is not subject to the starting date, Return is.  

There is also a Return YTD column available in the portfolio views.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    It is also important to understand exactly what is included in each of the portfolio measures, to make sure the data is what you expect.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    The Return % YTD data is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider and is often missing or out of date. It is not affected by the As of date setting or by your purchases and sales. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further note that Return % (a parameter downloaded) is different than Return (a dollar value calculated from our actual transactions).  

New discovery (apparent bug):  I often try to figure out what is sensitive to data file information and what is downloaded by varying the price of a security 'today'.  I'll add a leading figure such that it is easy to see the change and to undo it.  For example I change a price from 98.76 to 198.76.  Today's testing showed that changing the price that way changes the Return, Return YTD, Return 1-year, Return 3-year, Return 5-year data ONLY if the starting date was specified (portfolio preference).  If the starting date was left at the default Earliest available setting, those values do not change as today's price changed.  Same applies to the 5 ROI columns (ROI, and 1-, 3-, 5-year and YTD periods).  At this stage, I see this behavior in my real file and in a test file.  

My current (new) recommendation - Set the starting date rather than rely on the "Earliest available date".  I'll be investigating further and opening up a separate discussion. 

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "gain" here but I'd look at Reports > Investing > Investment Income, customized to include only 2020 and the one particular security you're interested in.
  • Jim_Harman
    Try Reports > Investing Activity 
    Date range Year to date
    Click the gear at the top right and select just the securities and/or accounts you want
    The net change in value is at the bottom of the Activity section

This will include any deposits or withdrawals you have made.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Also, on Portfolio views (Ctrl-U), you can set the beginning date for some return figures to a date of your choosing (1/1/2021).  See the Options / Portfolio Preferences.  Just be clear with yourself as to which measures are changed.  For example, Gain/Loss is not subject to the starting date, Return is.  

There is also a Return YTD column available in the portfolio views.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    It is also important to understand exactly what is included in each of the portfolio measures, to make sure the data is what you expect.
  • AR53
    AR53 Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your helpful answers. The portfolio view was what I was looking for. Also, the Return % YTD does not match up with the investment website results. I did set the return date as 1/1/2021.
    Thanks,
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    The Return % YTD data is downloaded from Quicken's quote provider and is often missing or out of date. It is not affected by the As of date setting or by your purchases and sales. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further note that Return % (a parameter downloaded) is different than Return (a dollar value calculated from our actual transactions).  

New discovery (apparent bug):  I often try to figure out what is sensitive to data file information and what is downloaded by varying the price of a security 'today'.  I'll add a leading figure such that it is easy to see the change and to undo it.  For example I change a price from 98.76 to 198.76.  Today's testing showed that changing the price that way changes the Return, Return YTD, Return 1-year, Return 3-year, Return 5-year data ONLY if the starting date was specified (portfolio preference).  If the starting date was left at the default Earliest available setting, those values do not change as today's price changed.  Same applies to the 5 ROI columns (ROI, and 1-, 3-, 5-year and YTD periods).  At this stage, I see this behavior in my real file and in a test file.  

My current (new) recommendation - Set the starting date rather than rely on the "Earliest available date".  I'll be investigating further and opening up a separate discussion. 

• AR53
    AR53 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I did set the starting date, and all is well (for now)!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following up on my 'apparent bug', I just posted this as a new discussion, in case anyone is interested.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7886514/behavior-of-return-values-portfolio-views#latest