Why doesn't the cleared status of my investment account change from cleared (C) to reconciled (R)

waa884
waa884 Member ✭✭
When I reconcile a cash account that is linked to an investment account, the cleared status doesn't change from cleared (C) to reconciled (R) requiring manually doing the process. I am using Quicken Deluxe 2020, Version R30.19 Build 27.1.30.19

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to understand.  Are you saying that the status of transfers in the reconciled cash account don't change, or are you talking about the related transaction in the investment account remaining a (C)?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• waa884
    waa884 Member ✭✭
    The status in the linked investment account does not change. If I want it to show reconciled (R), I have to change it manually.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @waa884,

Okay - I thought that was the transaction you might be referring to.  It can be a little confusing.

In Quicken (as well as in accounting procedures), a reconciliation is performed on an "account by account" basis, not on a "transaction by transaction" basis.  When you reconcile an account - in this case - you bank ("cash") account - you are only reconciling that particular account, not every other account it has transactions with.  In order to have the investment account indicate that its transactions are reconciled, you have to reconcile that account.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• waa884
    waa884 Member ✭✭
    You cannot reconcile a linked investment account in Quicken. Attempting to do so results in the popup message " You cannot update or reconcile the balance of a CMA-linked investment account, because its cash balance is always zero. To reconcile the cash balance, go to the linked bank account." The only way to show transactions as reconciled in the investment account is to do each one manually. Attempts to do this with the Find & Replace feature doesn't work. I get an message that it is Not Responding" and after sitting for minutes the Find & Replace window closes without making any changes.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I am glad that your found the answer.

Frankx

• waa884
    waa884 Member ✭✭
    How does that answer my question? I still have the problem of having to manually change the status of each transaction in the investment account.
  • Brian112
    Brian112 Member ✭✭
    I agree with waa884. What good purpose is served by having me reconcile each transaction, one by one, with a gazillion to do??? We're not accountants and we don't work for Price-Waterhouse-Coopers. We're just trying to keep up with new entries and some of these cleared line items are several years old.
  • waa884
    waa884 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Brian112. I question whether ghis will ever be resolved.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    If you go to the "gear" menu (upper right) of the investment register and choose "Edit Multiple Transactions" you should be able to mass update transactions to Reconciled (R).
This discussion has been closed.