Check register balance in account balance list is different from actual register ending balance

I show all my account balances on the left side of my screen. The check register is off by the amount of my opening balance all of a sudden. It happened after I accidentally deleted my opening balance and then reentered it.
The balance on the left side, in my account total list, is higher than the the Ending Balance in the check register by the exact amount of my opening balance. Reconciliation balances as does the account balance with my bank statement.
Thank you.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two questions.
    #1 Is the date on the re-entered Opening Balance correct and is the category of that transaction the name of the account in square brackets, like [checking] ?
    #2 The Account Bar can be set to show either Current or Ending balance.  Are you visually comparing the same type of balance?
    You can change what is shown by right-clicking on some white space in the Account Bar.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Thank you.
    Yes. The date is 12/21/2019 as it was before
    Yes. The category is [Adk Trust Checking] which is my bank account

The ending balance in my Adk Trust Checking register includes the opening balance and is the correct amount. The balance in the side bar that shows all my accounts is as if the opening balance was entered twice. Like there is a duplicate opening balance somewhere but its certainly not in my check register.

I right clicked in that white area and changed the preference from current to ending balance and the balance did not change.

This is certainly a mystery and being new to Quicken, I don't know where to look. Or maybe it's a software glitch?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can sort the register by clicking on a column header, clicking a second time (not a double-click) reverses the order.  I would click on the deposit column to put them in order and see if there is a second, erroneous transaction with that same amount.  It might have been that you didn't delete the original opening balance transaction, but changed the date and "hide" it from view.

• chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Thank you Splasher.
    With all the quirks I've been experiencing, I decided to shut Quicken down completely as well as my computer and re-launch Quicken. Voila! Everything fixed itself. No idea what was going on.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know we all groan when tech supports first suggests rebooting the computer, but as you found on your own, sometimes it is the best thing to do.
    Glad you found a resolution to your issue.

This discussion has been closed.