Can't add Schwab Alliance accounts to Quicken

Options
tituskao
tituskao Member ✭✭
Hello - I'm using Quicken Windows Year: 2020, Version: R30.21, Build: 27.1.30.21 and I'm having problems creating Charles Schwab Alliance accounts in Quicken. I found this solution, but it didn't solve my problem: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857725/does-schwab-support-download-into-quicken

The error I'm getting is:

! Sorry. We encountered an error (It's not your fault.)

- Try again now..
- I'll enter my transactions manually..

Is there any better debugging information in Quicken to help understand which side this problem is occurring? (Quicken vs. Charles Schwab website)

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't know about Schwab Alliance, but the regular Schwab requires you to enable 3th party access from within the Security Center - if you have not done so already.  So you may want to investigate it and here are the steps for a standard Schwab brokerage:
    Login to your Schwab from a browser > Go to the Service tap at the very top > select Security Center > scroll down to the OFX section > Enable Third-Party Access
    Then try to add the account in Quicken.  Let's hope this resolves your issue.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't know about Schwab Alliance, but the regular Schwab requires you to enable 3th party access from within the Security Center - if you have not done so already.  So you may want to investigate it and here are the steps for a standard Schwab brokerage:
    Login to your Schwab from a browser > Go to the Service tap at the very top > select Security Center > scroll down to the OFX section > Enable Third-Party Access
    Then try to add the account in Quicken.  Let's hope this resolves your issue.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Not sure if there are other issues related to the "Alliance" world -
    Schwab Alliance is a version of the Schwab.com website
    customized specifically for clients of advisors.
    [EDIT] - updated the topic title to include the ALLIANCE branding

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• tituskao
    tituskao Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    As it turns out - after trying to connect via the Quicken client to the schwab.com site - I later received an email with subject: "Outside access to your account is turned off". The email had directions exactly how @BK stated above. I followed the instructions in the email to enable 3rd party site access and that allowed me to create new accounts in the Quicken client respective to the ones I have in Schwab. Thanks @BK !!

Thanks @ps56k for the side comment. I'm working with a Financial Advisor and they provisioned my Schwab account. Now I know why the site is called Schwab Alliance.
This discussion has been closed.