In today's update multiple securities prices have been reset to $1.00 from their actual price.

jt2009q
jt2009q Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
This problem occurred both before and after installing the most recent update. I use Home and Business subscription. It didn't happen yesterday. Anyone else having this problem and what did you do to fix
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Kathryn
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,
    We're continuing to investigate this issue--if you're experiencing this issue, can you confirm whether this issue reoccurs during every period when the market is closed (so weekdays, weekends, etc.) - we're looking to see if there's any pattern with the timing.

Also, if you are able to go to Help > Report a Problem in Quicken and submit your online banking logs so we can continue to research as well.

Thanks--
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a Fidelity account?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jt2009q
    at least fidelity and morgan stanley.
  • Jim_Harman
    And have the accounts been set to Simple investing, i.e you see an account summary and not individual transactions in the investing accounts?
  • jt2009q
    When I downloaded first thing this morning, not on simple. After I had this problem, I tried downloading the program update, which may have reset some of the accounts to simple since it very annoyingly does that it seems. I did try switching the one back to complex but that did not fix the problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    OK here is what "we know" as of now.

When Simple investment mode is on and on days where the markets are closed, some financial institutions (like Fidelity) get updated with a price of $1.

Since what is happen is the incorrect $1 price is being put into the security price history, but changing back to Complete investing mode will not "fix it", it will stop the retrieving of the wrong price, but not fix the bad prices.  You need to go in to the price history for these securities and delete out the bad $1 prices.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jt2009q
    Thanks. I used Friday's date to look at things and that solved the immediate problem. Seems like a bug though. Moreover how does one tell the quicken update to not change to simple.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jt2009q said:
    Moreover how does one tell the quicken update to not change to simple.
    It shouldn't have changed over "automatically".  I hear that it is suppose to be the default for "new users", but it shouldn't have changed yours over without you doing it.  Sounds like another bug.  Once you switch back hopefully it will stick.

Note you still want to go into the security price history and delete those bad $1 prices, just so that they aren't in the history because they will throw off graphs that are over that time range.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Also to avoid accounts switching to Simple, you can go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and un-checking Enable Simple Investing.
  • rcsandmeyer
    rcsandmeyer Unconfirmed, Member
    In my Morgan Stanley accounts all security prices changed to $1.00/share this morning. I have set up for Simple tracking the maintenance required in Complete setup is burdensome, and also available (for what I need) using the MS data. I found I was constantly making adjustments for splits, dividends, etc...multiple placeholders...not worth the the time.

How do I resolve the $1.00/share problem?

If Quicken can't handle, what alternative programs are able to do so....may switch.
    Rod
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To fix the $1 prices you do what I said above by going into the security prices and deleting them.  As far as a long-term fix goes as long as you're using simple investing mode this is going to keep happening for every day that you download on days where the market is closed.  At least until Quicken Inc fixes the bug.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note another way you could go about this at least until they get it fixed is switch to Complete and stop downloading the transactions.  And then from time to time adjust the shares and cash amounts.  That is basically what the Simple mode is doing.
    Signature:
  • aglerum
    aglerum Member
    I've had same issue with a Fidelity IRA (but not other Fidelity accounts). Tried removing, then re-adding - but it was over weekend so maybe "market closed" glitch is still at play. Should this auto-resolve when updated once market is open? Or need I go through the "fix $1 prices" drama regardless?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @aglerum for the financial institutions/securities that this affects it will be an ongoing problem until Quicken Inc fixes it.  And it will occur every time you update quotes when you are using "Simple investing" mode and the markets are closed.

Do not remove accounts for this problem.  The problem is a bad price is put in the security history.  The security price history is separate from the account.  To get the the security price history:
    Ctrl+Y -> select the security -> More -> Edit price history.  Delete the bad $1 price.
    Signature:
  • aglerum
    aglerum Member
    Chris, I have reset the account to Complex (vs Simple). When I refresh this week are you suggesting I'll still have to muck with the bad $1.00 prices? And if so, must I replace the $1.00 with current price?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @aglerum like I said the messed up price isn't in the account.  Switching modes in the account isn't going to fix the prices in the security price history.  Switching to Complete will mean the it will stop putting in the bad $1 prices, but it won't do anything for the old bad $1 prices.  Now come Monday when you download and get another proper price the problem might seem to have gone away, but if you look back at reports like net worth they will still be wrong on the days where you have a bad price.

To fix the prices you just need to delete them in this case.  The reason is because the $1 entries are only being put there on days where the market is closed, and as such there isn't really price for that day.  Instead the price that is right is the one from Friday, and you aren't going to be touching that price.
    Signature:
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    It shouldn't have changed over "automatically".  I hear that it is suppose to be the default for "new users", but it shouldn't have changed yours over without you doing it.  Sounds like another bug.  Once you switch back hopefully it will stick.

A slightly off-topic FYI - When I installed Quicken (the prior version, r30.20) on a new laptop a couple of weeks ago, it was turned "ON" even though the datafile I was accessing never had it on. I assumed the "off" setting would be carried over as a preference, as were all the others, but apparently it did not.  I looked only because I recalled reading about this problem when it first surfaced in r30.13. Wasn't expecting to see the wrong default, but there it was. So, I agree that it may be another bug that has more than one manifestation.  Based on what happened to me, I'd say that "new users" may not be entirely correct. It might well be any new installation of the program, regardless of whether its using a new or existing datafile.
  • jt2009q
    Thanks all. My plan going forward for what it is worth is:
    Not worry about the $1 stock prices over the weekend, as the time and effort to fix is not worth the benefit.
    Next time I download a program update, BEFORE I do a transaction online update I plan to double check the setting to make sure it still is set on "complete" and not "SIMPLE".
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Quicken SangeethaS Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    We are investigating the $1 security price issue. We had put in a "reactive" fix last time but it looks like that didn't solve the issue. We'll continue working on it.

@rcsandmeyer  You also mentioned about having to adjust splits / placeholders etc. That is only if your file is in complete investing set up isn't it?

@aglerum Thanks for reporting the issue about 'simple' setting not being carried over to new installations. We will investigate that. 

• Quicken SangeethaS
    @aglerum When you say 'it was turned "ON"' Do you mean the beta setting in Edit -> Preference or do you mean one of your accounts moved from Complete to Simple investing automatically? Can you please clarify? Thanks.
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Users who are facing the $1 security price issue, can you please help us with answers to questions below?
    • Is it a security in a direct connect account vs. manual account
    • Is the security of a certain type (e.g., Stock or Mutual Fund)
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    We are looking into this $1 security issue. We had made a reactive fix last time but looks like that hasn't solved the issue. 

rcsandmeyer You mentioned about constantly having to adjust splits / placeholders etc. That is only if you are using Complete investing, right? 

@aglerum Thank you for letting us know that the 'setting' was lost when you reinstalled Quicken. We'll investigate that. 

Thank you everyone for your patience while we get these fixed. 
  • jt2009q
    In my case at least it is random (as far as I can tell) stocks, mutual funds and etfs, and it looks like all bonds. The accounts are set up for direct connect but NOT automatic entry. I had not previously been aware of the setting in "edit" to change back to the "complete" mode. When I download an update to the software which i try to do only periodically (eg every few months) because I have not been able to do in the last year with out some sort of problem, my individual settings in the accounts with direct connect get set to "simple" without my intention in doing so.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Users who are facing the $1 security price issue, can you please help us with answers to questions below?
    • Is it a security in a direct connect account vs. manual account
    • Is the security of a certain type (e.g., Stock or Mutual Fund)
    Direct connect.
    Mutual fund FSCRX.
    Only happens at fidelity.
    I only have the one security at fidelity so I can't tell more about that.  This doesn't happen at vanguard and I think you'll find that it has nothing to do with manual because this has nothing to do with the quote server giving wrong quotes.

I think this is a variation of the other problem you were having where for some financial institutions like fidelity they give their quotes really late as in the next day for their mutual funds. Most likely because of this Quicken gets no price at all and just assigns one dollar.
    Signature:
  • Quicken SangeethaS
    Can you please also confirm that you are on version R30.21? 
  • jt2009q
    yes, when i installed r30.21.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I'm on version r30.21
    Signature:
  • jt2009q
    the $1 price is also applied on a manual account to a stock which is also held in a direct connect account that got a $1 price.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jt2009q said:
    the $1 price is also applied on a manual account to a stock which is also held in a direct connect account that got a $1 price.
    Well yes and no.  There is only one price history for any given security.  So no matter how that price gets updated it will apply the security no matter what kind of account (or even the watch list) it is in.  So if the download process is messed up, yes it will affect the manual account, but it isn't what was done in the manual account that caused the problem.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Kathryn
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,
    We're continuing to investigate this issue--if you're experiencing this issue, can you confirm whether this issue reoccurs during every period when the market is closed (so weekdays, weekends, etc.) - we're looking to see if there's any pattern with the timing.

Also, if you are able to go to Help > Report a Problem in Quicken and submit your online banking logs so we can continue to research as well.

Thanks--
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I waited till market was closed for the day (and then some) to make sure I was correct about this.  Fidelity account updated just fine today.  So it is only on the days that the market is closed that the $1 price is downloaded.  I saw it on last Saturday and Sunday.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.