Do CDs count as cash when getting the allocation? If not how classified?

I have CDs entered entered as Investment in the account designation. Do CDs count as cash when getting the allocation? If not how classified?

Best Answer

• Donald Griffith
    Donald Griffith Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Category = Account type: Banking, Investing, Property and debt, Separate. The Cds are in Investing and checking further the Cds in account allocation are posted as Cash.
    My original Question is answered! Thanks everbody.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may set a CD security's asset class to anything we'd like using the Edit Security Details window.  Generally, short-term CDs are more like cash and long-term CDs are more like bonds, but we may create our own asset class.  For example, CD.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock is commenting if you are treating the CD as a bought security.  

IF you are saying you have a bank account CD that you have relocated from the Checking or Savings section to Investing, then the anwer is -- it varies. 
    The Quicken Asset Allocation report omits the Bank CD account.  They are not classified as anything.  The same would apply for the Morningstar X-Ray allocation information.  Other presentations will include the relocated Bank CD account as cash.

Summary (?) (provided the account is included) 
    Investing / Portfolio views -- as Cash
    Investing / Allocations -- as Cash
    Investing / Portfolio X-Ray (Morningstar) -- omitted
    Reports / Investing / Investment Asset Allocation -- omitted

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    q_lurker said:
    @Sherlock is commenting if you are treating the CD as a bought security. 
    Which is how I also interpreted the question.
    For a CD in a brokerage account, I recommend setting the Security Type to CD and the Asset Class to Cash. Then the CD will indeed show up as Cash in the asset allocation pie chart.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• LOOKS PERFECT BUT...WHERE IS THE EDIT SECURITY MENU? I CHECKED EVERYWHERE AND CAN'T FIND IT.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy, guy, back off the CAPS LOCK.
    The first image in my post above is the Security Detail View for the CD with 2 open dialogs. See the "Edit Details" button next to the words "Security Details". That opens the dialog on the right side of the image.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    LOOKS PERFECT BUT...WHERE IS THE EDIT SECURITY MENU? I CHECKED EVERYWHERE AND CAN'T FIND IT.
    Press Ctrl + Y, right-click on the security and select Edit.
  • AND the 16 CDs in my portfolio are not listed as a Security. Now how are they categorized in the the Asset Allocation graph? Or are they shown there at all? Again, they are entered in the Investing Category.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    AND the 16 CDs in my portfolio are not listed as a Security. Now how are they categorized in the the Asset Allocation graph? Or are they shown there at all? Again, they are entered in the Investing Category.
    I now suspect you are not using securities to track the CDs: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-add-certificate-deposit-cd-quicken-security-list

If you are using CD accounts, see @q_lurker's earlier response.

Otherwise, please explain what you mean by they are entered in the Investing Category.
  • Donald Griffith
    Donald Griffith Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Category = Account type: Banking, Investing, Property and debt, Separate. The Cds are in Investing and checking further the Cds in account allocation are posted as Cash.
    My original Question is answered! Thanks everbody.