Categories and transfer accounts no longer populate automatically

For the last few months when I enter transactions in my checking account register the category field is blank. For example, in the past when I paid a credit card bill Quicken populated the category field with the transfer account. When I paid a doctor it would populate the category field with Healthcare: Physician. I have tried repeatedly memorizing the payee to no avail. I am using the lasted version. Any ideas?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @MikeC331

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering if maybe one of the preferences that you have may not be allowing us to populate the field more effectively. I've taken a screenshot of the default data entry and quickfill options for you to compare. You can find this menu by going across the top top edit > preferences > Data entry and Quickfill. I'll leave a picture down below for you to see if anything may be preventing you from entering that data.

Please let us know what you're able to find. If this doesn't work let us know and we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• susangweber
    susangweber Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with a Mac. My preferences seem to be vastly smaller than the screen you are showing. Am I correct?
  • MikeC331
    MikeC331 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply, but this did not help. The category field is still not populating when I pay a credit card using the transfer (TXFR) field.
  • kolbeman
    kolbeman Member ✭✭
    I have noticed similar behavior. I reviewed my memorized transactions and it appears that many of them had the category deleted.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Hello @kolbeman

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to provide your feedback. If you have not done so already, can you please update to the most recent version R30.21 using the link below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

If you are already, up to date, can you please confirm if you are syncing to the Mobile or Web App? To confirm, navigate to Edit > Preferences > Quicken Mobile & Cloud Accounts?

If this enabled, I would consider temporarily disabling this to see if this improves the behavior. 

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MikeC331
    MikeC331 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. I already do have the latest update. I turned off the sync as suggested. I will see if that helps when I enter transactions.
  • lds337
    lds337 Member ✭✭
    Agreed this is an ongoing issue of deleting transfer accounts. I go ahead and restore the accounts manually and then the next time Quicken sends an update it deletes the transfer accounts.
  • lds337
    lds337 Member ✭✭
    > @lds337 said:
    > Agreed this is an ongoing issue of deleting transfer accounts. I go ahead and restore the accounts manually and then the next time Quicken sends an update it deletes the transfer accounts.
    >
    >

To clarify when I was referencing an update I was talking about a Quicken version update and not just connecting to a financial institution.

Also removing Split memorized transactions and only retaining the first category / account. This is so painful that Quicken continually essentially deleting memorized transactions. It's basically pointless to have memorized transactions if we continually have to rebuild them
  • kolbeman
    kolbeman Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka Got your message. I had thought that I had already turned off the web sync in response to another issue I had. I need to understand what I turned off. I am on the latest version for Windows already, R30.21. I'll get back to you if I see it recurring.
  • JRS57
    JRS57 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    My TXFR transactions for the last two months did not show an account that they were transferred to when I logged into my desktop version of Quicken this morning. No account information had been changed. No downloads from my financials accounts were made. No access by web or phone was done. My conclusion is that a previous update screwed something up. That happens occasionally and is disappointing enough [Removed- No Soliciting]
  • MikeC331
    MikeC331 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed-Unhelpful]
  • susangweber
    susangweber Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed- No soliciting/Off Topic] 

• korfoo
    korfoo Member
    I'm having the same problem too. I have the cloud update turned off, and my categories keep getting deleted from the memorized transaction list.

I keep going into the memorized transaction list, adding the transfer category back in, then click "lock" and save it, and next time I go in they are wiped out again!

When will this be fixed?
  • kolbeman
    kolbeman Member ✭✭
    I noticed a new Windows release was made today - R30.5. The description states the following:
    Fixed: Resolved issue syncing memorized split transactions.
    Sure would be nice to have a longer description of the issue and resolution process. Does this apply to this thread?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kolbeman

Thank you for the response and the feedback. The issues are both related to the syncing process.

I would go ahead and install the recent update and see if this resolves the issue.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Please be sure to save a backup prior to updating and please share your results once this has been completed. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kolbeman
    kolbeman Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka - It seems that the the Quicken update has fixed this issue. Is there any chance that a utility will be created to fix my past quicken data? I ran the file validate and repair on my quicken file and it identified these entries as damaged transfers. It recommends that I delete and re-enter about a year's worth of paychecks. Is that my only option? What assurance do I have that I won't have to do this again?