What is the last version that one could buy without paying yearly?

I detest renting software on a yearly basis. I prefer to buy software that I can use until I feel a need to upgrade or a desire for new features. I primarily use Quicken as a fancy checkbook register for my checking, savings, and credit card accounts. So, what year version is the latest that can be installed and on have to pay a subscription fee?

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    v2017.   Here is the challenge: You will have to do all entries manually.  It will not allow you to download or import anything into it.  So it will be manual transaction entry, one at a time.  More info:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    v2017.   Here is the challenge: You will have to do all entries manually.  It will not allow you to download or import anything into it.  So it will be manual transaction entry, one at a time.  More info:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BK said:

I agree with most of what BK states, but you can still import QIF files, so with a little work, you don't have to do manual entry if you can get an appropriate download of the transactions in QIF or CSV.  Same goes for stocks quotes, they can be imported (with a little work).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @splasher , for my learning benefit, are you saying that QIF file import is an exception to what Quicken wrote in the subsection of the link above, 2nd & 3rd bullets:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an exception, a backdoor.  You'll no longer be able to download those from within Q, but if you separately download them there's a backdoor process to import them.
    Search this forum for references to QIF (for transactions) and CSV (for stock quotes only)

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, QIF file imports can be done with an old (2017 and earlier) or expired subscription (2018+) versions of Quicken.
    What is not possible is the import of Web Connect .QFX files or One Step Update.
    There is nothing that currently stops a user from doing .QIF file imports.  
    I have not tried doing an .QIF import using an Expired Starter Edition of subscription Quicken, but I am pretty sure it will not work since you can't even enter a transaction in it manually, since it is READ-ONLY mode.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.