Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Auto generation of online payees

QW R30.21

Where does the "online payees" list come from automatically?

For years, I was doing bill payment online using my bank's (BofA) website. At some point, I discovered that Quicken had imported those online payees, and I was able to set up payments automatically in Quicken. This was super cool! I no longer needed to go to the BofA website to create the payments. This works reliably.

But since then, I've added payees on the BofA website, but they don't show up in Quicken. Similarly, I've added a payee in Quicken, and I can pay that payee and the payment shows up on the BofA website (I have to wait until next week to confirm that it works), but the BofA website doesn't show the payee as someone I can create another payment for.

This all came about from a combination of wanting to clean up my online payees list (their nicknames often had way too many digits of my account number), stale online payees (cancelled accounts), and the housekeeping of updating payees due to account number changes (thank you, Nigerian credit card scammers!) and new accounts.

Any ideas?

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Online Payee List should automatically download from the financial institution when the register is setup for online bill payment.  The Online Payee List should synchronize with Online Payee List on financial institution when a register with online bill payment is updated (for example, using One Step Update).   
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Dave1234Dave1234 Member ✭✭
    That's the thing - I was thinking that it 'should', but it doesn't. I do one or more OSUs every day.

- I added a payee on the BofA website last week. It hasn't appeared as an on-line payee in Quicken

- I added a payee in Quicken. I was able to send a payment to that payee (it shows as scheduled on BofA) but the payee itself doesn't appear on the BofA website as a payee that I can send another payment to
    Dave1234 said:
    That's the thing - I was thinking that it 'should', but it doesn't. I do one or more OSUs every day.

- I added a payee on the BofA website last week. It hasn't appeared as an on-line payee in Quicken

- I added a payee in Quicken. I was able to send a payment to that payee (it shows as scheduled on BofA) but the payee itself doesn't appear on the BofA website as a payee that I can send another payment to
    Assuming the register is properly setup to use the Direct Connect connection method for online bill payment, I suggest you examine the OFX log: select Help > Log File > OFX Log

To determine if the issue is Quicken file specific, I suggest you create a new test Quicken file, setup the register for online bill payment, and review the Online Payee List.  If the issue is Quicken file specific, I suggest reestablishing the Online Services with the financial institution.  If the issue persists, try the Copy and Validate instructions as described in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows 

If the payee information is not present in the response from the financial institution in the OFX log, I suggest you contact the financial institution.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Thanks for the reply, @Sherlock. I created a separate Quicken file and connected to BofA, and it does successfully reflect the 'new' payee. This happened after the first connection to BofA - I didn't even need to switch from EWC to Direct Connect. That surprised me.

But back to my old file - I'm not well-versed enough in the OFX format to know what should be showing up in there. I don't see some other payees in the OFX file either (payees that are listed in Quicken), i.e., one that I've had for years but I also haven't used for years.

It seems to me like Quicken isn't requesting an updated list of online payees, so BofA isn't sending one. How does Quicken keep the list of online payees up-to-date?
    Dave1234 said:
    Thanks for the reply, @Sherlock. I created a separate Quicken file and connected to BofA, and it does successfully reflect the 'new' payee. This happened after the first connection to BofA - I didn't even need to switch from EWC to Direct Connect. That surp

But back to my old file - I'm not well-versed enough in the OFX format to know what should be showing up in there. I don't see some other payees in the OFX file either (payees that are listed in Quicken), i.e., one that I've had for years but I also haven't used for years.

It seems to me like Quicken isn't requesting an updated list of online payees, so BofA isn't sending one. How does Quicken keep the list of online payees up-to-date?
    If you would like to become more well-versed in the OFX format, I suggest you review: https://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX 2.2.pdf   In particular, Chapter 12 covers payments and includes the payee model.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    You can't pay bills from inside Quicken over Express Web Connect. You must use Direct Connect.
    I have also seen some lack of synchronization with B of A recently. For many, many years, Quicken & B of A payees stayed perfectly synchronized. So it's possible something has changed for the worse. I haven't delved into it, but I double-check that everything is going through - which I didn't have to do before.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you would like to become more well-versed in the OFX format, I suggest you review: https://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX 2.2.pdf   In particular, Chapter 12 covers payments and includes the payee model.

I'm literally laughing out loud. I ran across this document (or one just like it) a while ago when I was trying to delve deeper into some Quicken problem I was having. After committing far too much time trying to decipher it, I decided it was a big fat NOPE. :smile:
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > You can't pay bills from inside Quicken over Express Web Connect. You must use Direct Connect.I have also seen some lack of synchronization with B of A recently. For many, many years, Quicken & B of A payees stayed perfectly synchronized. So it's possible something has changed for the worse. I haven't delved into it, but I double-check that everything is going through - which I didn't have to do before.

I stand corrected on my prior statement that I didn't set up Direct Connect to see the payees. I must have gone through the process to do that, because I tried again with another new test file, and the payees didn't show with EWC. When I swtiched to Direct, the payees showed up.

I've tried resetting the connection - that doesn't sync up the payees. I'm debating removing the connection and re-establishing it, but I'm also hesitant because I don't want to end up going down a hole of having to fix something else.
    Dave1234 said:
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > You can't pay bills from inside Quicken over Express Web Connect. You must use Direct Connect.I have also seen some lack of synchronization with B of A recently. For many, many years, Quicken & B of A payees stayed perfectly synchronized. So it's possible something has changed for the worse. I haven't delved into it, but I double-check that everything is going through - which I didn't have to do before.

I stand corrected on my prior statement that I didn't set up Direct Connect to see the payees. I must have gone through the process to do that, because I tried again with another new test file, and the payees didn't show with EWC. When I swtiched to Direct, the payees showed up.

I've tried resetting the connection - that doesn't sync up the payees. I'm debating removing the connection and re-establishing it, but I'm also hesitant because I don't want to end up going down a hole of having to fix something else.
    Before making any significant changes to the Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

If you run into any difficulties reestablishing the connection, all you should need to do is restore the backup you saved before making the change.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Before making any significant changes to the Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
    >
    > If you run into any difficulties reestablishing the connection, all you should need to do is restore the backup you saved before making the change.

Way ahead of you on the backups; the filesystem where my Quicken data is stored is snapshotted 4x per day. I've had to restore those files before.

It was only recently that I discovered that Quicken takes an automatic backup every time an update is installed. I understand the reasoning, but I wish there was a way to turn it off; my ancient Quicken backups were wasting gigs of disk space.

The challenge that I've found with Quicken (been using it since the mid-90s; yes, my data file is big) is that some problems end up being a "Wow, that's annoying but it's not a show-stopper; I'll fix that eventually" type of issue, and then a week later I realize that it was a bad choice. Reverting to a backup is certainly an option, but then it requires re-doing everything that happened from that point forward.