Why Golden 1 Credit Union not updating Credit Card Transactions

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @RSM2000  The interface and processes for back-end logins for downloads by software like Quicken are often different than the front-end websites we consumers use to log into our financial institutions. Financial institutions have myriad systems in place to make sure logins are legitimate and secure, and not the work of bad actors stealing data, and those systems are constantly changing and evolving to thwart changing treats from hackers trying to break in.

The real problem with this and the many, many other outages which occur is that none of the three parties involved -- Quicken, Intuit (who actually manages the connectivity services), and the financial institution -- find it worthwhile to share with consumers what the status of the problem is

Just imagine if instead of "apologies for the inconvenience", you could see over time meaningful status updates:
    Quicken: We acknowledge multiple reports of an outage with XYZ Financial. We have escalated this to our service partner, Intuit, to investigate. We do not have an ETA on a resolution. A generality, 50% of outages are resolved within two business days, 30% within one week, and 20% require more extensive work with a longer timeframe.
    XYZ Financial: We acknowledge that Quicken users cannot currently connect to XYZ Financial to download their transactions into Quicken. This is a result of changes we made to our back-end servers and websites in order to improve security, which is always our top priority. We are in contact with Quicken's service provider (Intuit) to explore possible future solutions to restore connectivity. We do not have an ETA on when the situation will change, but will post it here when we have something more to report.
    Quicken: As a follow-up to the connectivity problems with XYZ Financial, we can report that XYZ Financial has determined that security changes to their server environment has blocked Quicken's access to conduct remote login sessions to download transactions for customers. XYZ Financial has indicated that they plan to deploy additional hardware and software changes to allow Quicken connectivity to resume, but that this work will likely take 4-6 weeks to complete. We will update this notice when we have any further information.
    XYZ Financial: We have completed work on a significant change to our servers which allow remote access for our customers who user personal finance software such as Quicken. We apologize that this services has been unavailable since our website upgrades in October, but we always security of our customer's data is always our first priority, and our changes this fall required a ripple-down of additional changes to support connectivity for Quicken. Quicken now needs to implement changes to tie into our updated systems for this service to be restored.
    Quicken: We have been notified that XYZ Financial has completed infrastructure changes to allow the resumption of remote connectivity for Quicken users. Our service provider, Intuit, needs to update their interface to the new portal for XYZ financial in order for Quicken users to resume access. This work is slated to be completed by the week of xxx.

But no one -- neither financial institutions nor Quicken -- generally provides this level of transparency to their respective customers. Why? Sometimes it's because they don't want to release any details for security reasons. Sometimes it's because the technical people who deal with such issues don't have a consumer-facing or PR type person to translate the technical issues into laymen's language. Sometimes it's because the legal people don't want to imply promises of upcoming resolution which might miss schedules or get derailed. Sometimes it's because there's not clear communication between the three parties. Sometimes it's because they genuinely don't know what's wrong, or what it would entail to fix. Sometimes it's because the financial institution knows the changes they made have blocked access to Quicken, but aren't sure it's worth the time (money) to fix. Sometimes it's because the financial institution has metrics which show only a small number of Quicken customers use the service, and decide to wait to assess customers complaints before deciding whether to spend the time (money) to implement a fix. Sometimes it's because the change needed to restore Quicken access is simple, but it requires an update to a major software component like a server operating system or database, which needs to be planned, approved, scheduled, tested, and implemented. Sometimes it's because Joe, the programmer who created the remote connectivity part of the code, is out sick or has been tasked with a higher-priority project which needs to be completed first...

So we're left with the imperfect reality that when things go south with Quicken's connectivity to a financial institution -- something which undoubtedly happens every day of the year -- some issues are able to be resolved quickly and others takes weeks or months. And end-users are left in the dark until someone flips the switch and things suddenly start working.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hlovell3
    hlovell3 Member ✭✭
    CTP-1269 Quicken Francisco
    Any updates you can provide on this fix for the identified credit card issue. There has been no updates in awhile and the issues remains for me.
  • Albert Smith
    Albert Smith Member ✭✭
    I just joint the community. I am using windows 10 and have a subscription. I have used Quicken for over 10 years. I am also experiencing the same issue. There are no error messages. After "updating" it shows that there were no new transactions in any of my Golden 1 credit card accounts going back as far as early to mid October 2020 when Golden 1 made their change. I have call Golden1 and Quicken support numerous times with no help. I am extremely frustrated with both companies response. Quicken support just said to post on this site since they couldn't help. Can you believe that? Please help and advise.
  • mcscrooge
    mcscrooge Member ✭✭
    I had sure hoped for this to be remedied at the start of new year (2021).
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    It might help to send a secure internal message directly to Ms. Donna Bland who is the CEO of Golden 1 Credit Union. You can do this when logged onto the G1 website, click messages. Be sure to put something at the beginning of the message that you are writing/messaging the CEO (Ms. Bland) directly, otherwise your comment will not be routed to her attention. It's no secret that asking for help from the highest levels is the most effective way to move a concern to the top of the action queue.
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Trouble said:
    > This problem between Golden 1 Credit Union Visa and Quicken is complicating my business taxes. It does not ring true when both involved parties say they are working together to resolve the problem. A problem that has been going on for months. Regardless, it does not endear users to want to continue to use the service from which the end users experience the problem. Are there no work arounds for this problem? People will eventually be forced to find alternate service providers. I have been using Quicken since it was an MSDOS platform product. I am a super patient person but I am reaching the end of my patience.

The issue is approaching the 90 day mark. This has gone beyond a 'glitch' and one is perplexed that an entity the size of FIRST DATA (the Visa Provider) along with the #1 credit union in California (Golden 1) and a huge software company like Quicken cannot seem to manage to fix this. Lip service to 'we're working on a solution' does not convey a lot of information or explanation to us members who are paying money to have our bookkeeping/taxes organized and accurate. Writing to the CEO of the credit union is likely the only way to express our feeling of urgency. I have shifted most of my automatic credit card transactions to a different credit card because of this problem. I am strongly considering not using their card AT ALL. Note this is only an issue with their credit card - all the other accounts are operating as expected in Quicken transaction downloads.
  • jacobs
    Trouble said:
    I do not like the wall of silence from Quicken...
    One thing to be aware of, if you aren't already, is that Quicken's connectivity services to financial institutions is run under contract by Intuit's OFX division. Quicken can report stuff up to Intuit, and they probably have more of a Windows on the process than we have as consumers, but they may not have much info to share other than "we verified it… we reported it… it's on the list." That doesn't bring any satisfaction, of course, nor does it give them a pass for not replying in the past 5+ weeks with any update; I'm just explaining that there are multiple parties involved, and Quicken probably has the smallest piece of the action when it comes to resolving issues like this. 
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > One thing to be aware of, if you aren't already, is that Quicken's connectivity services to financial institutions is run under contract by Intuit's OFX division. Quicken can report stuff up to Intuit, and they probably have more of a Windows on the process than we have as consumers, but they may not have much info to share other than "we verified it… we reported it… it's on the list." That doesn't bring any satisfaction, of course, nor does it give them a pass for not replying in the past 5+ weeks with any update; I'm just explaining that there are multiple parties involved, and Quicken probably has the smallest piece of the action when it comes to resolving issues like this. 

Thanks for your reveals about the 'behind-the-scenes' at Quicken. We're paying for a service (Quicken) and we're not receiving what we're paying for. What is wrong with this picture? Excuses abound, yet we are still awaiting the 'fix'. The Catch-22 nature of this issue is mind-boggling.
  • jacobs
    @RMS2000 Yes, it definitely appears to us to be a Catch-22. But what we don't know is what's happening with each party behind the scenes. Maybe Golden 1's IT team decided they have other programming projects which are more urgent priorities and they'll get it fixed sometime in February. Maybe there's one programmer who deal with creating the code for Quicken years ago, and he hasn't been available to work on it yet. Maybe it requires a major re-write at Intuit, and they're behind because so many financial institutions have website and security changes, and they prioritize financial institutions with more Quicken users than Golden 1.  Maybe… well, conjure your own scenario. ;) The point is, whatever finger-pointing there is from front level consumer support at both ends, those support representatives likely just doesn't know what the real situation is. And so we consumers know only that it doesn't work and that both sides are aware of the issue.
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @RMS2000 Yes, it definitely appears to us to be a Catch-22. But what we don't know is what's happening with each party behind the scenes. Maybe Golden 1's IT team decided they have other programming projects which are more urgent priorities and they'll get it fixed sometime in February. Maybe there's one programmer who deal with creating the code for Quicken years ago, and he hasn't been available to work on it yet. Maybe it requires a major re-write at Intuit, and they're behind because so many financial institutions have website and security changes, and they prioritize financial institutions with more Quicken users than Golden 1.  Maybe… well, conjure your own scenario. ;) The point is, whatever finger-pointing there is from front level consumer support at both ends, those support representatives likely just doesn't know what the real situation is. And so we consumers know only that it doesn't work and that both sides are aware of the issue.

It's clear there are several 'moving parts' any one (or more) of which could be the causative factor in this situation. Yet as a consumer one wearies of the inaction and lack of resolution. It's like the old adage, 'how many whiskers make a beard?' Put another way, how long is too long (unreasonable) for this issue to remain unresolved? Clearly 1 year would be ridiculous - but we are approaching 90 days already...
  • RSM2000
    RSM2000 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Happy News! :D Golden 1 today reporting the issue with credit card downloads has 'mostly' been resolved (directions copied from internal message they sent me today 2/3/2021).

NOT RESPONSIBLE for any errors be sure you back up your quicken files prior to instituting this procedure. Note you have to change the CONNECTION TYPE in the VISA account to EXPRESS WEB CONNECT. During setup for online download of transactions, you will be sent an authentication text code from the credit union to your cell phone and you will need that code to login to your credit union plus your credit union online banking user name and password.

I saw a list of 27 transactions ready to be imported to my Quicken credit card account register - but all of those were previously (manually) entered by me. So, I deleted those duplicates from the transactions ready-to-import list one at a time and all was well!

Contact Quicken Support if you need help doing this. Here are the directions I received from Golden 1:

Please note, Quicken Direct Connect is no longer supported for our credit cards. We are asking our members to update the connection type to Express Web Connect. You will not lose any transaction history by changing the connection type. To change the connection type, we recommend contacting Quicken directly. If you prefer, I have listed the directions to change the connection type below.

Quicken for Windows

-Click Tools from the menu bar and select Account List

-Click Edit

-In the Account Details dialog box, go to the Online Services tab

-Click Change Connection Method, if the option is available. If the option is not available, click Deactivate

-Once deactivated, click Set Up Now

-Click Advance Setup at the bottom of the Activate One Step Update window

-Enter Golden 1 Credit Union and continue with the setup

Quicken for Mac

-Click on the account name for your account(s) in the Account toolbar in Quicken.

-Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.

-Under At Your Financial Institution section click on Downloads.

-Click on Change Connection Type

-To see the connection methods available, click Options.

-Continue with the setup.
  • mcscrooge
    mcscrooge Member ✭✭
    Direct Connect may not be supported for credit cards but it is still the connection type for checking/savings/etc. When I logged on to Quicken today I received the following warning message: EWC-DC Mismatch (OL-238). This message indicates that some of your banking accounts may be set up with different connection types, or the connection type may have changed.
  • Kurt H.
    Kurt H. Member
    For those of you with multiple Golden 1 accounts, you must deactivate all of them before setting them back up. Luckily, all will be setup at the same time when Quicken retrieves the accounts from the bank during the setup process. It should auto link them all as well.

The next issue is only transactions back to November 2020 when they finished the system update are retrieved. I have transactions missing since September. I downloaded the qfx file from the golden 1 website but they won't import into Quicken. Quicken support says they are not being allowed by the Golden 1 service and Golden 1 support says it is Quicken that is not compatible with their systems.

I am guessing the problem is with the account number changes from Golden 1 and however it links through Quicken. It must think that account doesn't exist or something. If anyone knows how to fix this problem that would be great as neither support was able to. Golden 1 said to change the account number, but it is no longer editable after setting up Express Web Connect; however, the accounts during setup came from Golden 1, so one would think they are correct. Quicken support even tried to add add a manual account to test the file import and that failed as well. Wouldn't be easier to just let the user accept any file imports into whatever account and call it a day? :| Can Quicken add a CSV file import and let the user to set the account to add transactions to? Or allow override of qfx web file import? The transactions are inside the file. I can see them.
  • Boobndoob
    Boobndoob Member ✭✭
    Still not updating for me. I changed my credit card account to webconnect but still not downloading
  • kstyrsky
    kstyrsky Member ✭✭
    Not updating here either. Did not see an "Advanced" option after deactivating all accounts and setting up again. They all go to "Direct Connect" and cannot find anywhere to change to "Express Web Connect."
  • Brian D.
    Brian D. Member ✭✭✭
    Do they realize that "Express Web Connect" is just a manual file download and import? Hardly a solution to the problem...I can manually go to G1 online/VISA then to "Credit Card Center" (a FirstData site) and hit "All Transactions" to download a "Quicken Web Connect -QFX" file for import into Quicken. That makes a new CC account in Quicken, then I have to move the new transactions to my existing G1 VISA account register...a huge hassle, and not a "fix".
  • Dave Abbott
    Dave Abbott Member ✭✭
    My Golden 1 Credit Union accounts are not updating since I installed the most recent Quicken update. I receive error code CC-506 with each attempt. I am running Quicken for Windows, R32.10, Build 27.1.32.10, and Windows 10, version 20H2.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Dave Abbott,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, please review and follow the error-specific troubleshooting instructions found in this support article regarding error CC-506.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sylvia126
    Sylvia126 Member ✭✭
    when I try to do this it downloads over 2,000 transactions and totally messes up my balance. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Sylvia126

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That's an odd issue that you're experiencing. I'm wondering what exactly is causing it since you shouldn't need to switch to EWC if you already have DC enabled. Are you getting a message asking you to switch? If so could you take a screenshot of the message so that we're able to see what it says. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Note you may need to drag the photo into the response box in order to add them into Quicken.

Once you get the chance let us know more about the issue you're having and any additional details as well. Once we get more details we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Sylvia126
    Sylvia126 Member ✭✭
    Yesterday when I logged into Golden 1 there was a message that said they were going from Direct Connect to Express Web connect and that I needed to change my connection. Today when I logged into their web page it is not there? I was able to download from them into Quicken, my problem continues to be with my credit card. It will download the current balance but never the individual transactions. I have reached out to the to see about the Express connect situation.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvia126 said:
    when I try to do this it downloads over 2,000 transactions and totally messes up my balance. Has anyone else had this problem?
    To answer this question directly.  Yes, almost everyone that has switched between Direct Connect and Express Web Connect has seen this problem.  Quicken detects "duplicate transactions" by a unique Id for each transaction.  That unique Id is created by your financial institution when using Direct Connect, but by the Intuit servers when using Express Web Connect.  And so they aren't the same.  And so Quicken thinks the transactions are new.

You need to sort by the "order entered" so that the transactions are together and then delete the duplicates using multiple select.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sylvia126
    Sylvia126 Member ✭✭
    I tried that and did delete all I could find. It was bringing in names of banks that I had dealt with 5 years ago. After I deleted all I could find, some were not marked as new? my balance was off by $7000. I quickly restored my back up. No way I’m gonna do that again. It was a total mess. I’m not sure what it will do with my downloading from Golden 1 once they change.
This discussion has been closed.