How to show cash balance instead of Market Value in Brokerage account (quicken premier)

flofoote
flofoote Member
Hi, I would like to see the cash balance displayed on my brokerage account and not the market value. I used to be able to do that before I switch to quicken premier and I can't find how to do this on Premier. Thank you for your help!
F

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The quick way to do that would be to click the Transactions tab to view the register, which shows your running (current) balance. (Note that this applies for individual accounts; it doesn't work for account groups like Brokerage or Retirement, or the main group of Investing, since there is no running balance across multiple accounts.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I don't believe there is any change in functionality in this case.  Rather it is what the brokerage firm holds your cash in and accordingly downloads it to Quicken.  In your brokerage, is your cash held in an actual cash account or is it held in a cash-like fund (such as a settlement fund, federal fund or money market with a ticker symbol)?
    Added: Another thing to check: In your broker's account details within Quicken, you may have unintentionally selected "Show cash in a checking account"?  Which may explain why your cash balance is not showing.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I see for my Vanguard brokerage IRA acct -
    How does it compare to your scenario ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    flofoote said:
    Hi, I would like to see the cash balance displayed on my brokerage account and not the market value. I used to be able to do that before I switch to quicken premier and I can't find how to do this on Premier. Thank you for your help!
    F
    Where are you currently looking?
    Are you referring to the Account bar?

There isn't any option in Quicken Windows to display the cash amount in an investment account on the account bar.  What is displayed there isn't the "market value" either.  It is the "Current Balance" or the "Ending Balance".  And in the case of an investment account that is the total of both the cash and the value of the securities on that date.

As shown in @ps56k's screenshot you can see both values at the bottom of the register.  Also in the register you can see the cash amount if you select the Holding tab.

What might be better though is to go to the Investing tab -> Portfolio view.
    There you can see the cash amounts for each account that you select if they are Accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:  As shown in @ps56k's screenshot you can see both values at the bottom of the register.  Also in the register you can see the cash amount if you select the Holding tab.

What might be better though is to go to the Investing tab -> Portfolio view.
    There you can see the cash amounts for each account that you select if they are Accounts.
    I don't see a Customize column avail for something related to "cash" - ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    ps56k said:
    I don't see a Customize column avail for something related to "cash" - ?

There isn't a special column for cash, but cash for the account is reported if you have the Group by: selecting Accounts.

Note if the cash value isn't showing select the Customize button and go to the Securities tab and select "No Security (includes Cash)"

Edit:  For accounts that have a zero cash balance this line will also not be displayed.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    All, if in the brokerage account, one has actual cash (not a cash equivalent fund), then the cash balance is indeed shown in Quicken.  I chose to have my cash not held in a fund and my Schwab account register shows at the bottom right:
    Securities value: $X,   Cash Balance: $Y,   Total Market Value: $Z (x+y)

Ditto in the Holdings tab where the very last line shows the Cash amount.

My guess was that was what the OP is asking - I may be wrong?  So as I wrote in my first response above, it is a function of how/what the broker is holding the cash in - which downloads it into Quicken accordingly and correctly.  Opposite of that is Vanguard which holds the cash in a "settlement fund" etc. in which case cash balance shows zero in the account register.  (Perhaps Vanguard has an actual cash account too, I don't know)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vanguard acct shown really uses the "cash acct" vs any other "fund" acct
    Here is a Schwab acct -
    that uses a "linked cash acct" and this is how "cash" is shown.
    So - I'm not sure what the Q&A is actualy about at this point ....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10