Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

One Step Update problems Express Web Connect accounts

I have several accounts, some connected by Direct Connect, others by Express Web Connect (because that is the only option for those institutions.) Often, but not always one of the Express Web Connect accounts do not show downloaded transactions or update the online balance of the account. I get no error message in the update summary.

To get around this I have to try several things - 1) Go to the online center and try updating the account from there. 2) if that doesn't work, click Contact Info in the online center while holding down the <ctrl> key, then selecting "Financial Institutions and Branding" for that account, hitting refresh , then updating again. 3) if that doesn't work, right clicking on the account in the left column, clicking "Edit/Delete Account" then going to the Online Services tab and clicking "Reset Account." One of these ultimately gets the proper transaction download and online account balance.

This has been going on for quite some time (months and months.) I haven't posted until now in hopes that program update would eventually resolve the issue nut no luck. Any suggestions on how to get One Step Update to properly download and update Express Web Connect accounts reliably? Any reason I don't get an error message when it doesn't?

Quicken Deluxe for Windows
Version R30.21
Build 27.1.30.21

Best Answer

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @jaws2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try switching from the QCS channel to the FDS channel. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Hold down F4 on your keyboard and select Help > About Quicken
    2. Once the Quicken connection channel window opens, let go of the F4 key and click Change channel if it shows you are currently using the QCS channel (see below).

From there, see if you still experience the same issues.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja

Answers

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jaws2

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing this trouble.

Are you able to successfully update if you update through register?
    1. Open the transaction register for the account with the error message.
    2. Click the Gear Icon in the upper right of the register and select Update Now.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
    4. Repeat these steps for each account with this error.
    May I also ask that you provide the name of the financial institution that is experiencing this trouble? This may be something specific to the bank.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    Sorry - should have mentioned that I do almost always try updating through the register as well but didn’t list it as a workaround because it rarely, if ever, clears the problem. Only the steps I mentioned eventually work.

It is not limited to just one financial institution and it’s not every time. The two that happen most are United Bank of Michigan and US Bank although it sometimes happens with Health Equity as well.
  • Not able to update with Vanguard or Wellsfargo
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jaws2

Thank you for the response and the additional details, I see that you mention resetting the cloud, have you attempted to deactivate and reactivate the problem accounts?

If you not, I would suggest that doing so as the next step, I would try to deactivate and reactivate the account that is connected to Express Web Connect and see if this improves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka - I’ve tried those things. Yes - it potentially works at that moment but shortly thereafter I’m back to the same situation. I was hoping to find out it was a known issue with Express Web Connect that would eventually be resolved in a program update. I guess not and I will just have to live with my workarounds which basically defeat the purpose of efficiency of a One Step Update.
  • jimmcd01jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    Similarly, OSU goes through the motions, and shows updated on Accounts List (I have given up checking update status from the OSU Summary as that has been broken for months), but transactions that cleared the financial institution several days ago are not downloaded. Updating from the account register does not resolve the problem either. Very frustrated with the product.
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    Separate issue, but agreed that One Step Update (OSU) Summary has been broken for months. Used to show every account and whether is was successful or not. Never shows even errors anymore even though I know they have occurred (even on Direct Connect accounts) because I watch the One Step Update progress and see them error out. But nothing shows on the summary other than how many security quotes were downloaded or if there is a program update to be installed.
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka - Is it possible my Express Web Connect issues are related to forcing us to use QCS as the Quicken Connection Channel?
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @jaws2,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try switching from the QCS channel to the FDS channel. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Hold down F4 on your keyboard and select Help > About Quicken
    2. Once the Quicken connection channel window opens, let go of the F4 key and click Change channel if it shows you are currently using the QCS channel (see below).

From there, see if you still experience the same issues.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Anja. I will give that a try. Assuming it works, do you know when the FDS channel will be discontinued?
    @jaws2 Thank you for your response.

As of right now, no we do not have an ETA on when the FDS channel will be fully discontinued.

Thank you.
    -Quicken Anja
  • jaws2jaws2 Member ✭✭
    Anja - So far so good switching to the FDS channel. Thank you.
    Hopefully they will work things out on the QCS channel before we are forced to move back to it.
  • jimmcd01jimmcd01 Member ✭✭
    Agree. Move to FDS seems to have resolved the problems. Please ensure solid testing of all functionality of the QCS channel before deployment.
    edited January 23
    @jaws2 & @jimmcd01 thanks for the update and confirming that the channel switch resolved the issue as well as for the feedback you both provided regarding the QCS channel. I will gladly pass this along. Thank you. :)
    -Quicken Anja