Bank of America paid e-Bill transactions downloaded as separate transactions

alaw168
alaw168 Member ✭✭
When you've previously downloaded a e-Bill transaction from Bank of America (or entered one yourself and matched it to a downloaded transaction), after the e-Bill is paid, a separate "Paid" transaction is downloaded. You cannot merge the 2 transactions, and you cannot delete the original transaction as it is a e-bill that has passed the payment date. The only option is to delete the "paid" one, and thus I will lose the record of it being paid.

Does anyone face a similar problem?
Tagged:

Answers

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2021
    No. 

When the actual payment downloads, it should be matched to the ebill transaction. 

If it doesn't match itself, you should try to manually match. 

It is supposed to come in 2 transactions. 

• alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    > @miklk said:
    > No. 
    >
    > When the actual payment downloads, it should be matched to the ebill transaction. 
    >
    > If it doesn't match itself, you should try to manually match. 
    >
    > It is supposed to come in 2 transactions. 

The problem is, it doesn't match to the e-bill transaction during download and for some reason, I cannot manually match (drag and drop the newly downloaded transaction onto the existing transaction). And unlike Quicken for Windows, where you have to positively accept downloaded transactions, in Quicken for Mac, all transactions that are not matched during download are automatically created in the register. If you are not careful, you end up with duplicate transactions.

It was working fine until 2-3 months back.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sorry, I didn't notice it was Mac. 
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    e-Bill transactions downloaded from BoA often do not match existing register entries and cannot be merged. Lots of duplicate entries in the register.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Quicken for Mac Premier 6.0.3, macOS 11.1. Checking account Bill Payment transactions from Bank of America do not match existing Registry entries. Duplicates every time. They will not manually match. Lots of extra time to update and delete appropriate transactions.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello  @alaw168 and @GenoM

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you are experiencing this frustration.

When you look in the status column of these transactions in question, do you see a transaction with a pencil and a blue dot? 

To be able to match a transaction, one will need to be a manual transaction and the other will need to be downloaded.  Once matched you will see the symbol below.

If you are unable to match 2 transactions, this usually indicates the transactions are both manual or both downloaded. Can you please confirm the icon that you see?

If you do not see any status icons, please right-click or control-click on the transaction and choose "Reject Automatic Transaction Match."

This should create two transactions, can you please confirm that these are for the same transaction?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @Quicken_Tyka The first downloaded transaction, the one that was created when the e-bill was original scheduled, has a white envelope icon (and not pencil or blue dot), and a numeric check number.

The second downloaded transaction, the one that was created after the e-bill was paid, has an orange envelope icon, and a check number of paid.

In this instance, the first downloaded transaction was manually matched to a manually entered one. In the screenshot, what you see is after I unmatched the two.

Looking back at the transaction history, the last time the paid transaction was successfully matched to the scheduled one was on October 1. The status bubble gave a completely different message (last image).

I'm on Quicken for Mac Deluxe, Version 6.0.3 (Build 600.37136.100); macOS 11.1.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @Quicken_Tyka Exactly as #alaw168 describes - the Registry entry I created has a white envelope icon and a numeric check number populated by BofA when the payment was scheduled. The downloaded transaction has a blue envelope (before Reviewed) and a brown envelope afterward with check number field containing Paid. Payee and amount of both transactions are exactly the same. These transactions have matched in the past and should match now.

Control-Click on neither transaction has an option to "Reject Automatic Transaction Match."

This behavior started within the last week or so. This is the second instance this week.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GenoM

Thank you for the response and the additional details. The reject match step is to rule out the transaction being matched to another transaction. This does not appear to be the issue.

To confirm, what happens when you attempt to drag one of these transactions on top of the other transaction to perform a manual match. As long as one transaction is manual and one is downloaded, these should be able to be manually matched.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka 
    ~~~***~~~
  • alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka I can manually match the manually entered transaction with either downloaded transactions, but the two downloaded transactions remain duplicate.

That’s the real problem.

A single e-bill transaction is recorded twice, once as a scheduled transaction and once as a paid transaction. The scheduled transaction cannot be altered or deleted because it has a pending status, and the only option is to remove the paid one, in which case I’ve lost the record of the paid e-bill within Quicken.

Prior to October, the status of the scheduled e-bill transaction would change to paid (as shown in the last screenshot of my previous reply). Something changed either with that October release or how BofA presents the 2 transactions.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your questions, @Quicken_Tyka,
    To summarize, there are 2 transactions in my checking account register to the same vendor for the same amount. One I created to schedule the payment with a white envelope in the status field. The second transaction was downloaded from BofA when the payment was processed. At this point, it has a blue envelope in the status field.

Right-click on the downloaded transaction and select Show Inspector - Matching Status is Matched (auto). Right-click and select Reject Automatic Transaction Match and I now have THREE registry entries: original transaction with white envelope, downloaded from bank with brown envelope and last one (created by Reject Auto... with a blue dot.

Now I can drag the blue dot transaction onto my original transaction and they match. The brown envelope transaction can be deleted. The downloaded transaction appears to be matched with... itself?
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka - one final and different data point. The latest situation involves a pair of Registry transactions - one in the checking account and one in a credit card account. After payment, BofA downloaded transactions to both accounts - the one in the checking account refuses to match; the one in the credit card account matched perfectly. The checking account transactions is not matched to anything and refuses to match the original via drag-and-drop.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GenoM

Thank you for the response and the additional details. It sounds as though this transaction is a transfer type of transaction.

In the Checking account transaction, are you able to edit the transaction? If so, you will want to edit the category to be a linked transfer.  The category will need to display brackets and contain the transfer to name: [Account Name].

I have also included a link to a support article that covers transfers to learn more.

https://www.quicken.com/support/transfers-quicken-mac

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka - I understand Transfer transactions. The last pair of transactions I described were entered in the registry that way. The problem is that the checking account downloaded transactions does not match the existing registry transaction. Until last week, that type of downloaded transaction matched the existing one in the registry and no further actions were required. Now, I have to clean up the duplicate entries manually. WHY don't the transactions MATCH?
  • alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka Any updates? The problem has nothing to do with transfer transactions. The problem is caused by the paid e-bill being downloaded as a separate transaction rather than an update to the original scheduled e-bill transaction.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Another week & several more credit card payment transactions downloaded and refusing to match existing Quicken registry transactions. [Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate]
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    Does the replacement of my previous comments/questions with "Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate" imply that this is a known problem, that someone is working on it and a solution should be available at some point? If that is the case, why can't you just say so? If it isn't the case, then my comments were not speculation or inaccurate. So far, the value I receive from Quicken far outweighs the bugs/hassles I encounter. I hope that ratio continues.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    More credit card payment downloaded transactions to manually process. I hope they will one day automatically match the existing registry entries again.
  • GenoM
    GenoM Member ✭✭
    Is there a mechanism to officially open a problem report / trouble ticket about this issue?
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka I don't see that there has been a resolution yet to this issue. I am attaching a screen shot showing the problem. I cannot drag one transaction onto to other to merge it. There is no option available to "Reject Automatic Transaction Match." The only option is to delete one of the transactions.

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    To continue this discussion, I want to be clear about the steps that created the above two transactions:
    1. I do not use Quicken Bill Pay – I just use BofA's website to pay the BofA credit card from my BofA checking account. I entered the transfer in Quicken the same as I always do for all transactions.
    2. The next time I did an update, the white envelope was added during the download.
    3. After the payment cleared, the transaction with the blue envelope downloaded. As stated above, I cannot drag the one onto the other.
    4. Note that this occurs only when I pay a BofA credit card from the BofA checking account. This situation does not present itself if I pay another credit card using the BofA checking account (note, that this payment is initiated from the other credit card's website, not BofA's).
    @Quicken_Tyka Is there any other information I can provide to assist you with to rectify this situation?

• alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    @John_M My steps are identical to yours.

As illustrated in the screenshots I posted on January 15, the problem began to surface late last year. Prior to that, instead of downloading a separate payment transaction, the status of the scheduled payment was matched to the actual payment (last screenshot).
  • alaw168
    alaw168 Member ✭✭
    Here is a fresh set of screenshots to highlight the issue.

The transaction with check # 8490 is the scheduled e-bill transaction. It was scheduled to be paid on 5/1, and on 5/2, the bubble from the envelope still showed "you have sent the payment instruction to your financial institution but they have not yet started to process this transaction".

The transaction with check # Paid is the payment of the 8490 scheduled e-bill transaction. Note the bubble from the envelope showed "transaction is being processed by your financial institution but has not yet been matched with a downloaded transaction."

Here lies the issue. The transaction with check # Paid fails to match with the transaction with check # 8490. The former is not a new transaction; it is a change of status of the 8490 payment instruction. Up until October 2020, the match was successful.

I don't know how much more we have to explain for someone from Quicken to understand the issue.
  • I don't know if this will help, but I ran into the same exact thing. I paid my bofa credit card, downloaded, and got the transaction listed with a white envelope. One small difference in my case i did not get a second transaction once the payment wen trhough. Who knows why, but i never got a transaction. And i got stuck because there is nothing I could do with the transacton with the white envelope. Always said I could not do anything with it until it was cleared, which i could not do no matter what. tried.

The way I ended up solving it was, that I duplicated the downloaded transaction (the one with the white enveloped). that created an exact duplicte of the transaction. <---- I cleared that transaction by hand (clicked on the pencil next to it and selected "reviewed").
    Only then was I able to drag the original entry (white envelop) ontop of the new one. That cleared the white enveloped (matched) after that I can edit.

Hope that fixes it for you too.

dear quicken... really try harder mon. bofa is a really big institution. I have used both windows and mac versions of quicken, and I tell you I dread "updating" my accounts online. It always ends up costing me one or two hours of fixing all the mess ups the software has. and creates. Constantly messing up transactions and constantly screwing up things.
    I am constantly looking for a suitable replacement to use besides quicken. Sooner or later I will find one (and learn how to use it) and I will jump ship.
  • never mind about my previous post.. even thought the white envelope is gone, it still does not let me make any changes to the transaction because it says it has not been cleared by the bank (which by the way it has). time to spend my time doing researc on gnu cash or something better rather than trying to fix quicken.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @spacefito Try Option-clicking on that transaction you wish to delete. I think that gives you a way to force-delete it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.