Editing investing xaction

Options
When I have to edit a downloaded transaction and change action from dividend to misc inc, the system does not mark as done, I must manually delete it every time. This should not be necessary since I have several retirement accounts where the category needs to be changed to tax deferred:xxxxxxxx

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    You have a special category for income in tax deferred accounts? Usually there is no need for a special category or to change the dividend type.

If the security is tax free like a muni bond fund, you set that in the Security details and Quicken records it as _DivIncTaxFree.

If the account is tax deferred like an IRA, it is excluded by default from the tax reports so they only include taxable income.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Leslie Charmatz
    Options
    I need this category for other investments as well, namely taxable brokerage accounts with publicly traded partnerships that have interest or dividend income that need to be recategorized to tax deferred****** income. Also in ira accounts downloaded xaction are being assigned to div_inc not tax exempt.******** for my internal reports which I want to appear under tax exempt income!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There already exists categories of  _DivIncTaxFree and _IntIncTaxFree that the user can specify when applicable, as Jim mentioned.

I will resist the temptation to tell you how to use Quicken as it is intended.  It appears you are set in your ways.  

With respect to your specific question, some transactions can be edited to a different type, come cannot.  I don't seem to have any issues changing an existing transaction (already entered into the transaction list) from Div to MiscInc by choosing the edit button for the transaction.  Trying to make the change directly in the transaction list is a non-productive path.  

I am not sure what you mean by: "the system does not mark as done, I must manually delete it every time."  Perhaps you are trying to make the change at the same time you are accepting the downloaded transaction.  I have not tried that sequence.