Why am I unable to update transactions in my 2020 file? Quicken 6.03 on macOS 11.1 BIG SUR

Options
When I go back to my 2020 file to manually update and add transactions, I get the error prompt below but no instructions as to how to change my allowed permissions.

You do not have permission to write to the file. Change your allowed permissions to read/write for the data file, then try to open it again.

NOTE: You may need administrator privileges in order to change the access permissions for this file.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @sc_meredith

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd normally when we get an error like this it generally means that the file may be in read only mode as you're unable to change the file when it is. It's one thing that we can try looking for here. You can find your files location by going across the top to file > show "File Name" In finder. From there I'll link you a third party article down below explaining how to check if that is the case.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/change-file-permission-readonly-readwrite-mac-67960.html

(Note you may need to completely close Quicken in order to Edit the file)

Once you get the chance try it out and let us know how it goes! If it doesn't work we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Where is your data file stored? If it's on a cloud storage service, odd things can happen (and it's not supported); your data file should always be local on your Mac when you're using it. (It's fine to save backups to cloud storage). If your file is on your Mac, where exactly is the file? It's unusual not to have full read/write permission to files on your Mac.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.