Online balance correct. Current balance wrong.

fjh
fjh Member ✭✭
The account uses auto reconcile and reconciles correctly with my bank. The register has no unreconciled transactions and shows the correct balance in the register, matching the online balance amount. The current balance is wrong, off by several thousand dollars. I have no idea how the current balance is determined. Are some transactions ignored in computing this number? Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Best Answer

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'd suggest you check your calendar view to see if you have phantom duplicate transactions.  Others have reported the problem and it could cause the balance discrepancies you see.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you absolutely sure that all transactions are showing up in the register?  No filters are on, register correctly sorted, etc.? 
    The Current Balance, both in the register and down at the bottom is simply the sum of every transaction above it.
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for the reply. Register is sorted by date. I'm confused why the final balance isn't the current balance if the account is reconciled. How can this be?

EDIT: I ran Validate until no errors were returned. No difference in result.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The final balance includes all the transactions entered in the register after "today."
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    I understand that. If you look at the image I shared you’ll see the 3 transactions scheduled for after today. You’ll also notice the final balance of that as a negative, not a positive balance of over $7000.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'd suggest you check your calendar view to see if you have phantom duplicate transactions.  Others have reported the problem and it could cause the balance discrepancies you see.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    > @jrich75 said:
    > I'd suggest you check your calendar view to see if you have phantom duplicate transactions.  Others have reported the problem and it could cause the balance discrepancies you see.

Thanks! That helped a lot. Somehow 10 of my mortgage/escrow transactions (split) from 2020 were changed and adjusted. Looking at a calendar view, these jumped out at me immediately. Once I went back in and fixed those transactions I'm balanced now. Thanks for the tip -- seeing them in that view really helped.
  • Terry Morse
    Terry Morse Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem with a Chase Bank credit card account. It began today. The ending balance for the account matched the balance on the bank's website, with no pending transactions, but the online balance reported in Quicken was $30 too low. Running one-step update and an update just for the one account affected didn't result in an updated online balance, nor did downloading transactions from the bank's website in qfx format and having the file open in Quicken. The online balance in Quicken did update when I downloaded transactions from the bank in qfx format, saved the file to disc, then imported it into Quicken.

As people have been reporting similar problems at least since last November (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883132/quicken-online-balance-for-my-bank-is-no-longer-updating), this appears to be a bug in the way Quicken processes downloads from the bank that open directly in Quicken. I am running version R35.31, build 27.1.35.1 on a Windows 10 Home, version 10.0.19042. Connection method is Direct Connect.

Terry
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Terry Morse I have two Chase credit cards and I'm not seeing this.  I reconciled just yesterday to my online balance and had no problems.

What's more you seem to be describing the exact opposite of what this thread is for.  The original post stated that the online balance is correct, but the current balance isn't.

Also on the thread that you flagged, if you closely you will find that almost everyone reporting a problem with the online balance lately are using Express Web Connect, not Direct Connect.  In the case of Direct Connect the online balance is provided directly from the financial institution.

If you download the QFX file and edit it you can look at this section to see what was sent.
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>-414.21
    <DTASOF>20211014120000[0:GMT]
    </LEDGERBAL>

The same information is in the OFX log for Direct Connect: Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dgwent
    Dgwent Member
    I have the same issue. To fix it I delete the account from quicken, then re-set it up. It is correct for a while, but over time it slowly drifts, so I repeat ever few months. I don't have any future transactions pending to cause the problem.
This discussion has been closed.