Incorrect share qty on Portfolio Value report

New to using the program. Per the broker and In the holdings screen a particular stock (in a particular acct) shows a qty of 13,654. However, when I run the Portfolio Value report, (subtotaled by acct) the qty is 13,784, a difference of 130 shares. The transaction history shows a sale of 130 shares a few months ago, so this may be where the problem originated. However, there is nothing unusual about the transaction (it is one of several making up an overall sale of 1,000 shares at slightly different prices). Help would be appreciated.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the Date Range selected for the Portfolio Value report include the entire time period that you have been holding this security?
    Do all the Buy and the Sell transactions refer to exactly the same security? Or do you have two securities with similar names, yet using the same ticker symbol?
  • Nick0131
    Nick0131 Member ✭✭
    Hi UKR, No matter what date range is used, 13,784 comes up as the balance. The security starts with a C and is the only security I own that starts with a C. I own the security in three other accounts and there is no similar problem. Thanks
  • Nick0131
    Nick0131 Member ✭✭
    I just ran an investing activity report for the entire range held and while it is not in shares, the ending $value of the report is over by $3,571.93, which is the $ value of the 130 shares sold last year.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried deleting and re-entering that sell transaction of 130 shares?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or are there one or more Placeholder transactions in the register?

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/search/placeholder

• Nick0131
    Nick0131 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to All! In this case I purchased 5,000 sharers in Apr 2019, sold all 5,000 in Feb 2020. I then purchased more later in 2020. I started using Quicken a couple of weeks ago. The original purchase did not download so I was showing -5,000 shares. I found the purchase transaction and entered. All was good in the on-line info. Until I saw the discrepancy in Reports. In looking back I saw I had dated the 5,000 share purchase as Apr 2020 (after the sales), instead of 2019. Should not have made a difference in overall totals ( with exception of capital gain,loss). But I went in and edited date to 2019 and the report is now correct! I'm sure there is a reason, but I'm good. Thanks