Long Term Capital Gains not displayed in Budgets

Options
Hi,

I have Quicken for Mac and use the Budgets feature to track investments etc. Dividend payments show up properly for Investment Income (Income/Investments/Dividend Income) but Long Term Capital Gains do not (Income/Investments/Long-term Capital Gains). Long terms Cap Gains show up properly under the Tax Report (Quick Reports/Tax/Tax Schedule) but not in Budgets.

Is this a bug or do I need to add some tag to transaction or something?

Thanks in Advance.

Steve

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Steve Lewis

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Steve Lewis This may not help you much, but I just did a test in my budget, and I do have Long Term Capital Gains showing up correctly in the budget.  

This doesn't prove much of anything, other than that Long Term Capital Gains should -- if properly recorded in your transactions, and properly selected in your budget -- show up in the budget. 

My only thought is to go in your budget to Edit Budget and make sure that both the category is selected and all investment accounts where capital gains occurred are selected for inclusion in the budget. Since some of these features got added mid-way through 2020, it's possible you don't actually have everything selected for inclusion in the budget. Just a guess…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Steve Lewis
    Steve Lewis Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jacobs,

Thanks for the feedback.

I checked and both the category was selected and all accounts enabled. The strange part is they show up properly on the Tax Report under schedule D.
  • Steve Lewis
    Steve Lewis Member ✭✭
    Options
    I tried a test of creating a new budget and including all accounts... same problem.
  • jacobs
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Steve, does the line show up, but the actual values are zero, or does the line not even show up in the budget?

What time period for actual are you looking at. If you've rolled over to a 2021 budget, then your actual probably is still zero. if you're looking at a 2020 budget, are you seeing zeros all the way across? What happens if you click on the Long Term Capitan Gains text in the left-most part of the row? Does it show $0 and show the time period is January 2020 through December 2020?

One more question: are these dividends reinvested dividends or dividends paying cash? I just did a further test, and found that my Reinvested Long-Term Dividends show up as income in the budget, but Long-Term Dividends paid in cash do not show up in the budget. Is that what you're seeing?
  • Steve Lewis
    Steve Lewis Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jacobs,

Thanks again for your help.

The Long-term Capital Gains line under Income/Investments shows up but all values are zero.

Time period is last year (1/2020 - 12/2020). Yes zeros all the way across and the popup shows $0/$0 and as previously mentioned there are real values in the Tax Report for this. I'm wondering if LTCG are tagged improperly but with them showing up in tax report its a bit strange.

I don't have DRIP setup for dividends so all paid in cash and show up properly.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Steve Lewis

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

I see something similar when viewing the 1-month budget, the actual amounts are ignored, however, they are available in the drill-down report.

Can you please navigate to the 1-month view and let me know if you experience something similar?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Steve Lewis
    Steve Lewis Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi,

Just saw your comment... sorry for the very late reply. The drill down report for 1 month budget is empty as well. Wondering how the transactions are normally tagged in transaction log.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Quicken_Tyka  to me, the question is why my Reinvested Long-Term Dividends show up as income in the budget, as expected, but Long-Term Dividends paid in cash do not show up in the budget. That seems like a bug to me.
This discussion has been closed.