American Express can't download

124»

Answers

• anrklein
    anrklein Member
    When I checked the AmEx website site yesterday, there was a message telling Quicken users to deactivate and then reactive accounts.  I did that, and downloads worked again.  But it wiped out two months worth of transaction categorization.

I also experienced issues with a primary checking account following the latest Quicken update.  The balance is off by an enormous amount, but I don't see any changes to transactions.  This suggests data corruption - not the first time that has happened to me since moving the subscription service.
  • Getting the OL-293-A on Amex download both yesterday and this morning. Following.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error the community.

If you would like to be automatically notified as updates and/or a resolution to this error becomes available, please visit and 'bookmark' the Community Alert here.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Misthios
    Misthios Member ✭✭
    Same here. Getting the OL-293-A for Amex download both yesterday and today.
  • JerryC
    JerryC Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    I'm on R30.21. In addition to AMEX, I had similar issues with Discover, Citibank, UMB and my credit union accounts. This started a few days ago. AMEX has had other issues for a while. Last night after about 10 PM PST, my accounts seemed to be working normally. I did deactivate, remove the account info by editing the account, then activate again. I did try this before , but last night it did work on more than just AMEX.

note: this morning R30.5 showed up as an available update.
  • ejvanyo
    ejvanyo Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    OK, I had the same problem with AMEX. Deactivated/reactivated and then it connected (also offered a separate account for my wife's card, I ignored). Then when it updated IT REMOVED ALL CATEGORY, ACCOUNT TRANSFER AND MEMO INFORMATION FOR EACH TRANSACTION IN THE LAST 90 DAYS AND SCREWED UP MY REGISTER!!! IT DELETED ALL SPLIT TRANSACTIONS AS WELL!!!

I restored from a backup right before the AMEX reactivation and turned off AMEX updating. When you find what happened and it's corrected I will turn it back on (apprehensively). I've never had this happen before in all the years I've been using Quicken; I am very concerned with this problem...

UPDATE (1/20/2021 4:48PM): I saw Sarah's note and tried Amex again, it worked properly this time.
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I didn't have any recent Amex transactions, so I used a 2 month old backup, got the same error, deactivated and reactivated. All the new transactions downloaded correctly, so it "worked for me".

If you're having data file corruption issues, maybe make a backup and validate/fix your data file before addressing amex download. I recommend everyone validate periodically, even if you dont think you're having issues yet.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • elgatofelix
    elgatofelix Member ✭✭
    My problem is solved. I did what I said, reset the accounts several times and everything is back to normal
  • JerryC
    JerryC Member ✭✭
    QW can do backups when you exit. the number of backups and how often depends on what your preferences are. I have it save after every exit because QW has always had issues.
    it gets save to : C:\Users\"user"\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP
  • John Robinson
    John Robinson Member ✭✭
    For several days we have not been able to download updates to Quicken from our American Express accounts. Won't download and when doing either manual, or one step, shows "error recovery" instead of the normal "Waiting," "Connecting," "Requesting,"etc. Varies between OL-293-A and OL-294-A errors. Did the File Menu Validation and it showed no issues. Tried to "Reset Account" and it will not move forward. Says "Quicken could not complete account reset. At a loss...
  • Mark Wagner
    Mark Wagner Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    > @Studpup said:
    > I think American Express is working on it since it's on their end, and they expected resolution with 24-48 hours as of yesterday. I don't know anyone's talked to Amex today for updated guidance.

It doesn’t really matter whose problem it is . If the Quicken teams knows there is an issue it should be posted in one of those two places. All they would have to do in this case, if it is an Amex issue and Amex is working on it, is to post that they are aware of the issue and Amex is working on resolving it. That would minimize or at least reduce all the users trying to figure out what the heck is going on. But again, that is apparently not Quickens process for some reason and it does make those two threads less useful than they could be fir real time information on known issues. JMHO.
  • zhezhang
    zhezhang Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    As of Jan 20 11:45 Pacific time, Amex download seems to be working again.-Using Direct connect.
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • Misthios
    Misthios Member ✭✭
    Fixed - Thanks Quicken team!
  • elgatofelix
    elgatofelix Member ✭✭
    Hey Quicken team: IF AIN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT. You do the same every time that a new update comes
  • elgatofelix
    elgatofelix Member ✭✭
    Unhelpful to you, not to me that expend all morning trying to figure it out
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unhelpful to you, not to me that expend all morning trying to figure it out
    You post isn't helpful since it wasn't Quicken that broke it, it was AMEX.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • elgatofelix
    elgatofelix Member ✭✭
    edited January 21

[removed - violation of community guidelines]

• Studpup
    For several days we have not been able to download updates to Quicken from our American Express accounts. Won't download and when doing either manual, or one step, shows "error recovery" instead of the normal "Waiting," "Connecting," "Requesting,"etc. Varies between OL-293-A and OL-294-A errors. Did the File Menu Validation and it showed no issues. Tried to "Reset Account" and it will not move forward. Says "Quicken could not complete account reset. At a loss...
    Doing just a reset didn't help me either. I had to deactivate the account and then reactivate it. 
  • dfiord
    dfiord Member
    The problem seems to have cleared for me. Just downloaded and AmEx data was downloaded.  Thank you for everyone's comments.
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭
    Direct Connect is working.
    Please send a thank you to the technical team for getting this resolved.
    Andy
  • jk5711
    jk5711 Member ✭✭
    While I appreciate this one getting resolved (Amex downloads are working again for me too), I'm concerned about the longer term problem with data integrity. This is the third time I've had to clear and reconnect my download connection with Amex since July and they are not the only financial provider with similar patterns vis-a-vis Quicken. That would just be a major annoyance except that each time I do it, a large number of previously-reconciled transactions are downloaded and have to be re-matched and accepted, sometimes discarding previous information. Worse, sometimes when I try to "Validate and repair" the files, the process reports no errors of any importance but damages some entries and/or messes up the One Step Update configuration and drops entirely unrelated institutions/accounts from the password cache. Feels like quality control problems since the subscription model started with the appearance of either file conversion problems or inadequate validation of updates. And it seems to have gotten worse within the last year -- hope that turns around soon
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭
    This comment is about the connectivity issues only.
    It is very hard to determine who the connectivity problem belongs to, especially when one side says it is the other company's fault and vice versa.
    It would be nice if these partners would reach out to each other and say "WE have a problem, let's work on this TOGETHER".
    A win win for everybody including the end user.
    If you all keep this mantra going in communications with each vendor, perhaps it will help.
  • updaze
    updaze Member
    I am still having download problems just with amex: I have tried both direct nd web connect way as suggested by the quicken prompts, i have manually deactivated and reactivated several times. THIS PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED, stop saying it is!!!
  • Studpup
    I am still having download problems just with amex: I have tried both direct nd web connect way as suggested by the quicken prompts, i have manually deactivated and reactivated several times. THIS PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED, stop saying it is!!!
    It may be time to contact https://www.quicken.com/support so they can look and your specific situation and help get it working.
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭
    I suggest that you contact American Express technical support as well. If the first level support gives you the run-around, escalate the issue.
  • elgatofelix
    elgatofelix Member ✭✭
    Do that and some more
  • Haapy
    Haapy Member ✭✭
    Requesting this topic be closed as Amex downloads have been working correctly. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.