Review synchronized bank transactions

himay
himay Member
I just moved over from Quicken Windows after using it for 20+ years to Quicken for Mac. When I synchronize transactions online via my bank, I'd like to see a summary of the results and then accept them one-by-one after the sync completes (like the Windows version). How can I do that?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can't; Quicken Mac doesn't work like that. (More than 350 users have voted in this thread to request that functionality.)

I suggest you read this thread explaining how to have a somewhat similar workflow using Quicken Mac's methodology. It's not the same, but it can be used to accomplish a similar goal.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I have a different take on this than Jacobs. The downloaded transactions do go straight in the register. As Jacobs indicates, you can't change that. However, you can do a similar acceptance workflow, but you do it in the register vs in a separate acceptance window. Here's how:
    1. Make sure the Status column is displayed (black dot as the column header). If not, turn it on in menu View > Columns.
    2. Invoke the Status > Not Reviewed filter. This will show you only transactions downloaded in the most recent download session.
    3. Observe the icon in the Status column. This will tell you the status of each transactions: manual entry, downloaded but not matched, matched, etc. To see a list of the meanings of these icons, type "Status Icons" in the help search box in the Help menu.
    4. After dealing with each transaction (manually matching, editing, etc.) click the status icon and select Reviewed. This will clear the status icon and remove the transaction from the current filtered view. Consider this as accepting them.
    5. When you're all done, don't forget to clear the filter by clicking the red X Clear Filters button.
    Some notes:
    1. Before starting using this workflow, you will want to clear the status icons on all your old already reviewed transactions. You can do this as a batch by selecting them all as a group, then right clicking on any one and selecting Set Status of Selected Transactions To > Reviewed in the contextual menu.
    2. You can do this acceptance workflow on a single account register, or on a group account register (eg. Credit Cards).
    3. While reviewing the transactions, you can manually merge two of them by dragging and dropping one on top of the other (one with a blue dot and one with an orange pencil).
    4. You can reject an automatic match by right clicking on the transaction and choosing Reject Automatic Transaction Match from the contextual menu.
    5. To see the info that came down from the bank, right click on a transaction and choose Show Inspector.
    6. It can be helpful to turn on the Match Status column for a more explicit view of matching status (at least until you're comfortable with the icons).
    I'm well aware that this workflow doesn't satisfy the needs of some QWin and QMac2007 users who are used to the separate acceptance window and have more complex situations. Let's not turn this into yet another rehash of that debate.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    You can't; Quicken Mac doesn't work like that. (More than 350 users have voted in this thread to request that functionality.)

I suggest you read this thread explaining how to have a somewhat similar workflow using Quicken Mac's methodology. It's not the same, but it can be used to accomplish a similar goal.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    I have a different take on this than Jacobs. The downloaded transactions do go straight in the register. As Jacobs indicates, you can't change that. However, you can do a similar acceptance workflow, but you do it in the register vs in a separate acceptance window. Here's how:
    1. Make sure the Status column is displayed (black dot as the column header). If not, turn it on in menu View > Columns.
    2. Invoke the Status > Not Reviewed filter. This will show you only transactions downloaded in the most recent download session.
    3. Observe the icon in the Status column. This will tell you the status of each transactions: manual entry, downloaded but not matched, matched, etc. To see a list of the meanings of these icons, type "Status Icons" in the help search box in the Help menu.
    4. After dealing with each transaction (manually matching, editing, etc.) click the status icon and select Reviewed. This will clear the status icon and remove the transaction from the current filtered view. Consider this as accepting them.
    5. When you're all done, don't forget to clear the filter by clicking the red X Clear Filters button.
    Some notes:
    1. Before starting using this workflow, you will want to clear the status icons on all your old already reviewed transactions. You can do this as a batch by selecting them all as a group, then right clicking on any one and selecting Set Status of Selected Transactions To > Reviewed in the contextual menu.
    2. You can do this acceptance workflow on a single account register, or on a group account register (eg. Credit Cards).
    3. While reviewing the transactions, you can manually merge two of them by dragging and dropping one on top of the other (one with a blue dot and one with an orange pencil).
    4. You can reject an automatic match by right clicking on the transaction and choosing Reject Automatic Transaction Match from the contextual menu.
    5. To see the info that came down from the bank, right click on a transaction and choose Show Inspector.
    6. It can be helpful to turn on the Match Status column for a more explicit view of matching status (at least until you're comfortable with the icons).
    I'm well aware that this workflow doesn't satisfy the needs of some QWin and QMac2007 users who are used to the separate acceptance window and have more complex situations. Let's not turn this into yet another rehash of that debate.

• himay
    himay Member
    RickO said:
    Some notes:

Thanks RickO. Your response is very helpful. Tip #1 is particularly useful since when I did the QWin to QMac file conversion MANY of the transactions were marked with blue dots dating back over the last 20 years of using QWin.

• jacobs
    Haha, this is funny. @RickO you said you had a different take on it, but if you clicked on the link in my post above on how to work with this issue in Quicken Mac, you would see that it's a link to your post in a different thread, with similar advice to what you posted above. So if you disagree, you're disagreeing with yourself. ;)
  • RickO
    Haha, that IS funny. I somehow missed that "read this thread" was a link, much less to my own post. That's what I get for typing before coffee! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.