Account locked? Will not accept new transactions

Options
I have several bank account - only one seems to be "locked". I can not add new transactions - the cursor will not leave the last transaction. I have restored the file - several times going back several days. R31.5 27.1.31.5

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you look at the account details, what does it say the account type is?
    Right click on the account name in the account bar and select -> Edit/Delete account.

I suspect you will find that it isn't one of the support account types in the Starter version, and that is why it is read-only.

Checking, Credit Card, Savings, Cash

And if this is an account that you download that account type will be determined by the financial institution's information, not what "intent" you gave it.  Given that you have called it a Trust I suspect it is an investment account and as such you need to use Deluxe or above to make any changes in it.

And now that you are in Starter edition your choices are even more limited than if you had realized this before the change over.  Before the change over for such an account that is being update so infrequently and treated as a savings account I would have been inclined to suggest just zeroing that account out and creating another  manual entry account to that you update quarterly.  But now there isn't any way to zero out that account.  About the only thing you can do it delete it or go back to the Deluxe edition, or just ignore it having an balance.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    BTW there has been another problem pointed out in another thread with going to Starter version and having these accounts go to read-only.  If they were setup for downloading transactions, there isn't anyway to turn that off.
    Signature:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What "edition" of Quicken are you using (Starter, Deluxe, ...)?
    And what kind of account type is it that you can make changes in?
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AND, did you recently change Q product types?  Such as a downgrade to Starter?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Judith C. Conklin
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses. It is a bank account (trust) that I only update quarterly. I treat it as a savings account. I was using the Deluxe version until my renewal was up and I downgraded to the Starter edition, as I did not need the features that were added to the Deluxe version. I have 5 other accounts - 2 checking, 2 savings and one credit card that are just fine - I can add transactions and do a one-step update without any problem. Suggestions on how to remedy this problem will be appreciated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you look at the account details, what does it say the account type is?
    Right click on the account name in the account bar and select -> Edit/Delete account.

I suspect you will find that it isn't one of the support account types in the Starter version, and that is why it is read-only.

Checking, Credit Card, Savings, Cash

And if this is an account that you download that account type will be determined by the financial institution's information, not what "intent" you gave it.  Given that you have called it a Trust I suspect it is an investment account and as such you need to use Deluxe or above to make any changes in it.

And now that you are in Starter edition your choices are even more limited than if you had realized this before the change over.  Before the change over for such an account that is being update so infrequently and treated as a savings account I would have been inclined to suggest just zeroing that account out and creating another  manual entry account to that you update quarterly.  But now there isn't any way to zero out that account.  About the only thing you can do it delete it or go back to the Deluxe edition, or just ignore it having an balance.
    Signature:
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I, also, suspect that your Trust company has designated this as an investment account ... which is why I asked my prior question.
    I concur with @Chris_QPW's reply.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Judith C. Conklin
    Options
    Thank you both, again. Your are correct, while I have been treating the account as a savings account, I have it entered as an investment account, which I now understand the Starter Edition does not support. Rather than delete 15 years of transactions, I am going to carry the balance over to a new savings account and enter transactions from there. I am most grateful for your assistance!!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    BTW there has been another problem pointed out in another thread with going to Starter version and having these accounts go to read-only.  If they were setup for downloading transactions, there isn't anyway to turn that off.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Folks it seems I made a mistake on this one.  I just tested it for myself and I was able to deactivate the account for downloading transactions.

So either I'm remembering it wrong from that thread or it is a slightly different problem.
    Signature: