Is Quicken 2007 compatible with MacBook M1 Big Sur - Is the current Quicken 2020 ?

hollywood1367
hollywood1367 Member
edited January 2021 in Before you Buy
I currently have a MacBook Pro (mid 2010) running High Sierra 10.13.6. I am using Quicken 2007 16.2.4 for which I have the original installation CD. I purchased an online Quicken 2015 which I used for a couple of months before I abandoned it and went back and loaded all of the changes into the 2007. (Too many things I didn’t like) I do not have an installation CD for it.

My MacBook is getting so old that it is no longer compatible with many of my banking, financial & password manager applications. I am intending to buy a new MacBook Pro but I am wondering if the Quicken 2007 is compatible with the MacBook M1Big Sur system. Apple sales didn’t know.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can do it either way: install the latest version of Quicken on your Sierra machine, or install it directly on your M1 Mac. The convertor will walk you through the (simple) process of converting from 2007.

You might wish to do it on your older machine first so you can start using it with your older setup/give you more time to decide about your M1 Mac purchase. It might be less overwhelming than when you are in the middle of migrating to a new machine.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    QM2007 will not run under Big Sur, natively. But I like to present alternatives, though the following is not for everyone.

First, note that although Apple does not support installing macOS higher than 10.13 on your MacBook Pro, it can be done, unofficially.

Using the following patch, you can install macOS 10.14 Mojave or 10.15 Catalina on your MacBook Pro. Support for macOS 11 Big Sur is still in the works by others.
    http://dosdude1.com/software.html

If you install Mojave, QM2007 will continue to run, just like on High Sierra. However, if you install Catalina and it only supports 64 bit software and since QM2007 is a 32-bit software, you will need to run QM2007 in a virtual machine (VM) running Mojave or older to get around that. Note that an excellent VM is VMWare Fusion v12, which is now available for free if running Catalina or higher (click here)
    (see also: Running Quicken for Mac 2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM))

Whatever you do, make sure to have good backups before performing any upgrades.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Hi, hollywood1367

No, 2007 won't run under Big Sir. You will have to migrate to the latest, subscription version of Quicken for Mac. It is similar to 2015, but has had features steadily added since you last tried.

2015 will still run under Big Sir, but it is unsupported as well. I suggest you upgrade to the latest version.
  • Do I need to upgrade that before I make the initial transfer from my old MacBook to the new MacBook?
  • John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    You can do it either way: install the latest version of Quicken on your Sierra machine, or install it directly on your M1 Mac. The convertor will walk you through the (simple) process of converting from 2007.

You might wish to do it on your older machine first so you can start using it with your older setup/give you more time to decide about your M1 Mac purchase. It might be less overwhelming than when you are in the middle of migrating to a new machine.
  • Thank you for your help!
  • John_in_NC
    Thank you for your help!
    No problem-I've been using QMac for 30+ years and like helping.

FYI, the latest version of Quicken for Mac has already been optimized for Apple Silicon machines. It will run natively on a M1 machine.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    QM2007 will not run under Big Sur, natively. But I like to present alternatives, though the following is not for everyone.

First, note that although Apple does not support installing macOS higher than 10.13 on your MacBook Pro, it can be done, unofficially.

Using the following patch, you can install macOS 10.14 Mojave or 10.15 Catalina on your MacBook Pro. Support for macOS 11 Big Sur is still in the works by others.
    http://dosdude1.com/software.html

If you install Mojave, QM2007 will continue to run, just like on High Sierra. However, if you install Catalina and it only supports 64 bit software and since QM2007 is a 32-bit software, you will need to run QM2007 in a virtual machine (VM) running Mojave or older to get around that. Note that an excellent VM is VMWare Fusion v12, which is now available for free if running Catalina or higher (click here)
    (see also: Running Quicken for Mac 2007 in a Virtual Machine (VM))

Whatever you do, make sure to have good backups before performing any upgrades.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Thank you! I appreciate your advice but you have no idea how far beyond my capabilities that would be! The biggest obstacle to my not upgrading my computer before now is that I am pretty severely challenged in the IT realm. I would love to just turn it over to somebody else to do it all. 😁
This discussion has been closed.