How to transfer money between accounts

lnlandersjr
lnlandersjr Member ✭✭
I recently moved from Home & Business to Premier. I just found out I can no longer transfer cash from one bank account to another (savings to checking, for example). What's going on? Was that simply removed? Is it just not available in Premier? If it is available, how do I do it?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your speedy responses.  I suspect I used the wrong place, but nothing I saw looked like the right place for my question.
    I am running Quicken Premier ver. R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21 (as best I know, it is the most current).
    I do not get an error message.  What is happening is that in my old version of Quicken, I could transfer funds by clicking <CTRL> T (may have been <ALT>) and a set of a couple of screens would come up which stepped me through the transfer process.  Now, that simple process is not even available, or at least, I can't find it.
    Blessings,
    Lloyd
    Ctrl+Shift+T is what you are looking for.
    You will find it on the top right gear icon menu as "Transfer money".

Personally I prefer just trying it in, in the category text box (with the square brackets)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @lnlandersjr,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please verify which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

You should still be able to make transfers with Premier. If you don't mind, could you please describe the pathway you took to create a transfer transaction? Also, when you attempted to create a transfer, did you receive any specific error messages when doing so that you could provide us with? 

It may also help us better understand your issue if you are able and willing to include a screenshot in your response. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop a screenshot to your response if you are not given the option to add one as an attachment.

Please, check back and let us know.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnlandersjr said:   I just found out I can no longer transfer cash from one bank account to another (savings to checking, for example).
    How are you entering this Transfer.....
    We just use the special Category naming --> [Other Acct]  in the From Acct Category

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lnlandersjr
    lnlandersjr Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your speedy responses.  I suspect I used the wrong place, but nothing I saw looked like the right place for my question.
    I am running Quicken Premier ver. R30.21, Build 27.1.30.21 (as best I know, it is the most current).
    I do not get an error message.  What is happening is that in my old version of Quicken, I could transfer funds by clicking <CTRL> T (may have been <ALT>) and a set of a couple of screens would come up which stepped me through the transfer process.  Now, that simple process is not even available, or at least, I can't find it.
    Blessings,
    Lloyd
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CTRL-T brings up the Memorized Payee List ... and has done so for many years.
    SO, maybe, you were bringing up that MPL, and then  select a previously stored transaction that was the "transfer" that you wanted.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Blessings,
    Lloyd
    Ctrl+Shift+T is what you are looking for.
    You will find it on the top right gear icon menu as "Transfer money".

Personally I prefer just trying it in, in the category text box (with the square brackets)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    As I mentioned above....
    [EDIT] - also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lnlandersjr
    lnlandersjr Member ✭✭
    To All Who Responded, but ESPECIALLY Chris_QPW who actually solved the problem. THANKS for your willingness to help. It appears my problem was, as in most cases, a USER Problem, in this case, my memory. The correct way to access what I wanted was not CTRL+T, but CTRL+SHIFT+T.

Again, thanks to all.

Blessings,
    Lloyd
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several ways how you can achieve a Transfer Transaction.
    My preferred method is: I set up and use an entry in the Memorized Payee List.
    For example, when I withdraw cash from the ATM, to transfer cash from my checking account to my "$ - Cash" cash account I use this MPL entry:
    To record this transaction I go into my checking account and start filling out the new transaction entry line at the bottom:
    Enter the Date, tab to the Payee field, begin typing Cash until the Cash entry in the popup is highlighted, tab to the amount field, change it if necessary, and presto, I have a complete transfer transaction:
    Press Enter to Save. Done in under 5 seconds.
    Takes me longer to describe it than to do it. This works well for other repeated transfer transactions, too, using distinct Payee Names like "Transfer to Brokerage".
    For recurring transfer events, e.g., a monthly transfer to Savings every 1st of the month, I prefer using Scheduled Reminders, though.
  • smb921
    smb921 Member
    None of these answers make any sense. In my previous versions of Quicken I could go to the Online Center which has tabs for payments (still) but it also had a tab for Transfer. This is no longer in my new version. I tried transferring the way you said, but it only results in a manual entry in my register and does not actually transfers the money.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    smb921 said:
    None of these answers make any sense. In my previous versions of Quicken I could go to the Online Center which has tabs for payments (still) but it also had a tab for Transfer. This is no longer in my new version. I tried transferring the way you said, but it only results in a manual entry in my register and does not actually transfers the money.
    To be able to use Transfer - I think the Account must be Direct Connect -
    look at your ... Tools --> Account List -
    to see what Transaction Download protocol is defined for your Accounts.
    There might also be other configuration reqs...
    All my Direct Connect accounts are listed in the Online Center,
    but only my Chase bank has the Transfer tab.... so not sure why ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10