Capital Group - American Funds not listing

I saw this question was asked in another thread and then closed. The issue has still not neen resolved for me. Back in October American Funds did a share class exchange from 529-F-1 to 529-F-2. Since then I've been unable to add the F-2 accounts to Quicken. When attempting to add the accounts are simply not "listed" in Quicken accounts to be added. I figured I would give it some time for this issue to be resolved, but so far nothing. Any ideas out there?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Alston,

It could be an issue with your current datafile.  To determine whether that is the problem, I'd suggest that you start a new datafile and try again to add these accounts to that new file.  If you are successful, that would indicate that the problem is with your current datafile, rather than some other issue (such as with the FI or connection, etc.).

If you are able to setup the accounts in the new file, then I suggest that you go through the validation and supervalidation routines on the old datafile to see if those fix the datafile.  Of course, make sure that you backup your current datafile before you do anything.  Here's the link to the troubleshooting - LINK.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are using the word "accounts" when referring to 529-F-2 which seems to be more akin to a "share class", i;e., a distinct class of American Funds shares of mutual funds that are available with a CollegeAmerica® 529 college saving plan.
    Are you really attempting to add an Account to Quicken? 
    I'd think the correct approach here would be to keep whatever Quicken Account you already have established to for the 529 savings program and convert the shares inside that Account from 529-F-1 to 529-F-2 shares, if that's even needed. 
    If you ended up with the same number of shares at the same market value a name change might be all that's needed.  If the number of shares changed and the quotes on the shares are different than the old shares, then a "Mutual Fund Conversion" action is typically the way to go.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Alston,

It sounds like you are trying to add accounts to Quicken in connection to some type of conversion of investments in a 529 plan.  Can you give us some more information to assist you. 

Was a new account at Capital Group created for this "exchange"?  Were you ever - since the exchange - able to connect and or download from the account after the exchange?  Can you tell us if you are getting some type of error code when trying to connect?

Any additional information will help.

Thanks.

Frankx 

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alston,

If the issue is that you simply cannot connect to the accounts at Capital Group - you may want to take a look at this guidance LINK

Frankx

• Alston
    Alston Member ✭✭
    American Funds did a Share class exchange from F-1 (1405) to F-2 (1605) Shares. When exchange occurred, Quicken could/did not identify the new class of shares - still has not. I actually tried removing (deleting) the accounts and re-adding into Quicken hoping this would fix the issue. Maybe there was a conflict.
    Every attempt to add the previous accounts (there are several different 529 accounts) goes like this: enter login information, list of accounts screen appears but nothing is listed to select. Typically you can "add or link accounts". In this case, the account list screen is blank.

When I log-in to the American Funds site I can view all transactions and accounts no problem.
  • Alston
    Alston Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > @Alston,
    >
    > If the issue is that you simply cannot connect to the accounts at Capital Group - you may want to take a look at this guidance LINK
    >
    > Frankx

Been a Quicken user for decades and this issue was with an existing account in Quicken that I deleted and tried to re-add.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi Alston,

It could be an issue with your current datafile.  To determine whether that is the problem, I'd suggest that you start a new datafile and try again to add these accounts to that new file.  If you are successful, that would indicate that the problem is with your current datafile, rather than some other issue (such as with the FI or connection, etc.).

If you are able to setup the accounts in the new file, then I suggest that you go through the validation and supervalidation routines on the old datafile to see if those fix the datafile.  Of course, make sure that you backup your current datafile before you do anything.  Here's the link to the troubleshooting - LINK.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

• Alston
    Alston Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi Alston,
    >
    > It could be an issue with your current datafile.  To determine whether that is the problem, I'd suggest that you start a new datafile and try again to add these accounts to that new file.  If you are successful, that would indicate that the problem is with your current datafile, rather than some other issue (such as with the FI or connection, etc.).
    >
    > If you are able to setup the accounts in the new file, then I suggest that you go through the validation and supervalidation routines on the old datafile to see if those fix the datafile.  Of course, make sure that you backup your current datafile before you do anything.  Here's the link to the troubleshooting - LINK.
    >
    > Let us know how that goes.
    >
    > Frankx

Hi Franks -- This was very helpful. I created a new datafile and tried adding the accounts and it worked. I then went back and ran a validate and repair operation on a copy of the original datafile and found a host of errors. Funny, none related to the issue. Then tried adding the accounts and it worked.

Thank you.

Alston
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GM @Alston,

Happy to help - have a great day!

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.