Why does my 2021 Budget not add up correctly?

Options
I created a new Budget for 2021, which was populated with 2020 values, as I expected. I edited the budget to with 2021 expected income and expenses, but the amounts don't add up. Help please! I'm running Quicken for Mac. Thanks, Kathie
Tagged:

Answers

• Katnahat
    Katnahat Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tyka, does your answer relate to Quicken for Mac or for Windows. I changed to Mac (subscription) in 2018, but remember the Validate & Repair option in Windows Quicken. I can't find it in Mac. I am also having trouble after creating a 2021 Budget from a 2020 Budget. The categories change when I save it and the budget doesn't add up at all. Thanks!
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Katnahat

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If you wouldn't mind could we get a screenshot of the issue so that we're able to see what we can find something that we're able to see. I'll leave a link down below on how to screenshot.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac#latest

Note you may need to drag the photos into the response box in order to add them into the response.

Once you get the chance let us know how it goes and we'll see what we can find.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Katnahat
    Katnahat Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, Francisco.

Before I do that, one of the problems may be that the budget is showing expenditures from the categories that I have unchecked; the ones that I don't want in the budget because they are not regular expenditures. For example, my husband spent $800 on a hunting trip this month and I don't want that in the budget. Those type expenditures are planned for and won't come out of our yearly budget. While the $800 doesn't show up in the subcategories, it is included in the category.

Second, the way I created the budget I was having so much trouble with was to add a 2021 budget and it automatically put last years expenditures in for 2021. Even when I excluded the categories and subcategories that I didn't want after zeroing them out in the 2021, they still showed up in the totals. So I tried just moving one month forward from the end of my 2020 budget and that seems to work, with the exception of the above paragraph. I'm hoping this doesn't cause me any trouble going forward. I'm afraid that just adding 2021 to the 2020 budget is going to slow down the program.

Any thoughts?
    Kat
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello @Katnahat

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I have few additional questions to help me clarify what you are experiencing.

What is the category that is being used for the hunting trip? Is that category included in the budget? If not, can you please describe how this amount is being displayed in the budget?

It may be helpful to provide screenshots of the issues that you are seeing. Alternatively, you may contact support directly for one on one assistance.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to be able to view the issue in real-time to better assist.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.