Security shares mismatch

I have 103 shares of a security in an investment account. I sell those shares at my brokerage. I try to save a SOLD transaction for 103 shares in Q. A Pop-up says the account only has 75 shares.
The HOLDINGS option for that account shows 103 shares. All the previous transactions in Q add up to 103 shares in that account. Where is Quicken getting the different share balance?

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I empathize with your frustration at this trial and error process.  Somewhere somehow we are missing a disconnect.  I am generally skeptical of Support services with respect investment activities, but it might be worthwhile to run through their checklist of fixes.  Be prepared to repeat some of what we have been through. 

One other thought since this seems to be a recent limited transaction security for you. 

Create a new Security (Occidental 2?, Ticker = OXY-Temp)
    Repeat as manual entries duplicate transactions.  Buy in Dec 2019, reinv Dividends, skio the warrants for now. Sell in December, Sell in January.  If all that goes well, do the warrants following the prior links.  Sell the warrants. 

If all that goes well, delete the original Occidental Petrol transactions, delete that security and rename and re-ticker the new one accordingly.       
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, I will try it over the weekend.

Answers

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Additionally: I have verified there are no hidden securities.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOW did you verify that?  And "hidden securities" isn't the same as "hidden transactions".
    Also, perhaps, do you have 2 securities with almost identical names?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Hidden securities is in the Security List Tool. Hidden transactions would have to be in another account marked hidden, right ? There were some name corrections I had to make on this security I believe I found them all in that account and corrected them. These name errors occurred on downloaded transactions in the past. I am suspicious the problem may lie there, but I cannot find where Q is finding that incorrect share balance.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To look for hidden transactions, which can happen in any investment account, do EDIT, Preferences, Investment Transactions and then CHECK "Show Hidden Transactions".
    Any hidden transactions, also called Placeholders, are created when the downloaded quantity for any security doesn't match the Q holding, in the particular account, for that security.
    It sounds like, for some reason, 28 shares got removed at some point in the past.
    Also, If you'd care to name the security, its ticker and the brokerage firm it would help us in trying to understand your issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    A long story:
    I verified the preferences for Inv. Trans are set to show hidden, and no placeholders in here.

This security is OXY. When I first entered this security in Q it went out online to find it. It listed it as Occidental Petrol Corp. Then later dividend downloads from Schwab listed it as Occidental Petrol Co. Q counted these downloads as a different security. So I had to keep correcting the name.

Last year OXY issued 28 warrants instead of a dividends. These warrants were treated like a spin off called OXY/WS. Q just showed them as an ADDED transaction last year. At year end I had 129 shares of OXY and 28 OXY/WS in Schwab.

Yesterday I placed a sell order for all of these. Schwab broke this order into 3 OXY transactions and 1 OXY/WS transaction. 2 of the OXY trans were entered as SELL by Q leaving 103 shares in Holdings. The OXY/WS was downloaded as OXY and I had to correct the name. I am guessing this where the problem is in Q but I cannot find where to fix it.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find comments about the issue of the Warrants here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879576/adding-warrants-in-investment-account
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880671/entering-oxy-warrants

You should have had one security as Occidental Petrol Corp. (ticker OXY) and a second as Occidental Petrol Warrants (ticker as OXY' in Quicken) or some sort of similar names.  Ideally, you would have had those matched to the equivalent Schwab securities but I take it that did not happen.  Thus you had to repeatedly change the transactions Schwab offered. 

Noting that the 28 share difference (103 - 75) is the same as your 28 warrants, I think that is the key to your problem.  I would delete the sale of the warrants as entered, then try your OXY sale, then try the Warrants sale, again.  Backup first to give yourself a recovery point.  
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    OK, I deleted both OXY/WS 28 warrants transactions, ADDED AND SOLD. There were only 2 and I can add them back easy later.

The I tried to SELL transaction again for the 103 shares and it still says I only have 75. I searched the entire file for any OXY transactions. Adding the + and -s in the account, I still have 103.

I searched the whole security list and cannot find any other names even close.

three OXY securities display in my Security List now.
    OXY Occidental Petrol Corp 103 shares
    OXY Occidental Petrol Co. 0 shares
    OXY/WS Occidental Petrol Warrants 0 shares

When I display the Security Detail View window for OXY, it shows 103 sh Held.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Additionally, there is no transaction for 28 shares under any OXY name.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At year end I had 129 shares of OXY and 28 OXY/WS in Schwab.
    Just trying to understand.  Did you get two 'good' sales recorded for 26 shares sold that took you from 129 to 103?  You had mentioned the OXY sale was done in three transactions.

If you received 28 warrants, you must have had 224 to 231 shares of OXY at the time (August 2020).  The distribution was 1 warrant per 8 shares held.  What happened to bring you from that level to the 129 you had at year end? 

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Yes. I bought 205 shares in mid 2019. By December 2020, I had accumulated 229 shares plus 28 warrant shares and sold 100 before the end of 2020. Sold the rest this week.
    The 3 transactions at Schwab were 103, 26 and a fractional share. Thanks for following this thread
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A direction we haven’t tried is file validation with lot rebuilding. See help or ask if you need more info on that path. 

You may need to delete and re-enter the December sale. 
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    I did a File Validation and found hundreds of errors in deposit accounts, mostly extinct accounts , accounts that no longer exist, that range from 1993 to 2006. The most recent error was in a current account in 2018.

These notes were at the beginning of the data log.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
    The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

QEL:
    Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.

This message at the end:
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 6/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

Is there any value in contacting Q support ? Can I find anyone there to explain how the SELL transaction finds 75 shares instead of 103, when the Security Detail View shows 103 ? All I can do is Trial and Error methods.

I have deleted and readded the OXY /Warrants transactions. I will now delete and reenter the Jan 26 SELL transactions and start with the 103 shares to see what happens.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I empathize with your frustration at this trial and error process.  Somewhere somehow we are missing a disconnect.  I am generally skeptical of Support services with respect investment activities, but it might be worthwhile to run through their checklist of fixes.  Be prepared to repeat some of what we have been through. 

One other thought since this seems to be a recent limited transaction security for you. 

Create a new Security (Occidental 2?, Ticker = OXY-Temp)
    Repeat as manual entries duplicate transactions.  Buy in Dec 2019, reinv Dividends, skio the warrants for now. Sell in December, Sell in January.  If all that goes well, do the warrants following the prior links.  Sell the warrants. 

If all that goes well, delete the original Occidental Petrol transactions, delete that security and rename and re-ticker the new one accordingly.       
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, I will try it over the weekend.
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    OK, Good News. I fixed the problem. However, I will have trouble explaining it.
    I deleted the extra OXY from my security list. That left OXY and OXY/WS.
    I tried the SELL on OXY for 103 shares on 1/26 as before. It failed with the same msg only finding 75 shares.

I backdated the Sell to 1/25. IT ACCEPTED IT ! I changed the date only back to 1/26. Still GOOD!.

I went a reconciled my holdings in the Brokerage, all good. All the OXY transactions now match the brokerage also.

Many Thanks for your help...