"You may not transfer money into a read-only account" continues to plague me

For the past several months, when I update accounts, every 5-10 updates results in the "You may not transfer money into a read-only account" message. I have to click okay on the pop-up notice approximately 10-20 times for it to go away. I have followed the suggestions in another post on this topic. Validating makes the problem go away temporarily. If I were to restore from a backup now, it would have to be one from months ago, since this problem has continued inconsistently for quite some time. Validating, by the way, usually comes up with no problems or a problem with one category (I cannot determine which category). Any suggestions? Am I doomed to use a very old backup and then have to update and manage re-downloaded transactions and complete reconciliations for the past several months?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What edition ( Starter, Deluxe, Premier, H&B ) are you using now and what edition were you using when you created the file with this "read only" account?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wpc09
    wpc09 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier. The problem began sometime during 2020 a few months ago. Not sure when. I have had Quicken Premier for a few years now. It is the subscription version.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @wpc09

Thank you for the additional details, although I apologize that this trouble continues to persist.

I would next recommend super validating the file, to see if this process removes this message.

To run this utility, open Quicken and go to the File menu > File Operations...

Hold down Ctrl + Shift on the keyboard, and click on " Super Validate & Repair, while holding the keys down

The Validate & Repair window will open and mark the top box that should say "Supervalidate file" then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭✭
    Me too, me too! I hadn't seen this for a long time, but I just closed an account which I had marked as "hide account name in account bar and account list" and that dialog box popped up about 30 times before I lost patience. Oh BTW - this was immediately after a super validate the prior day and a one step update. Q HBRP version R31.8 Build 27.1.31.8
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    wpc09 said:
    For the past several months, when I update accounts, every 5-10 updates results in the "You may not transfer money into a read-only account" message. I have to click okay on the pop-up notice approximately 10-20 times for it to go away. I have followed the suggestions in another post on this topic. Validating makes the problem go away temporarily. If I were to restore from a backup now, it would have to be one from months ago, since this problem has continued inconsistently for quite some time. Validating, by the way, usually comes up with no problems or a problem with one category (I cannot determine which category). Any suggestions? Am I doomed to use a very old backup and then have to update and manage re-downloaded transactions and complete reconciliations for the past several months?

Hi @"wpc09

Why are you doing Manual Backups so far apart?

Have you been doing Regular Def-ragging of your Hard Drives, unless a Solid State Drive?

Include links to Premium Support. (Free for Premier and above).

Read only Accounts are Closed Accounts. Have you hidden the Closed Accounts?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.