Can I create a special report for debit card use?

My credit union (paper statement) does not show end of month debit card use. Can you create a special report in Quicken to track? Nice to have - not a "show-stopper".

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If the debit card transactions are distinguishable from the other transactions in the register, you should be able to create reports that excludes the other transactions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    jah47Ed said:
    I went to Reports-Banking-Transactions, selected the appropriate checking account and "Month to Date" and created a transactions report. I went into this report and deleted everything that was not a debit card transaction. Doable, but tedious if you have multiple non-debit card transactions. A more "elegant" way would be to generate a report based on "Debit Cd" that you find the in the banking register's "Check #" column. Less tedious - faster. Anybody else besides Sherlock have any suggestions. Tnx to Sherlock for the idea of using Banking transactions...
    Open the account register, select Last Month in the first pull-down menu at the top left of the register view (or whatever the desired date range is), enter Debit Cd in the search text box at the top right of the register view.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jah47Ed said:
    Jim_Harmon's method works - no "total", but just subtract the ending amount from the beginning amount. Easy enough - format is good enough. Tnx!
    Look in the lower left margin of the register. There is a transaction count and a total for the filtered items displayed.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If the debit card transactions are distinguishable from the other transactions in the register, you should be able to create reports that excludes the other transactions.
  • jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    I went to Reports-Banking-Transactions, selected the appropriate checking account and "Month to Date" and created a transactions report. I went into this report and deleted everything that was not a debit card transaction. Doable, but tedious if you have multiple non-debit card transactions. A more "elegant" way would be to generate a report based on "Debit Cd" that you find the in the banking register's "Check #" column. Less tedious - faster. Anybody else besides Sherlock have any suggestions. Tnx to Sherlock for the idea of using Banking transactions...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    jah47Ed said:
    Open the account register, select Last Month in the first pull-down menu at the top left of the register view (or whatever the desired date range is), enter Debit Cd in the search text box at the top right of the register view.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful deleting transactions from the Banking Transactions report - I think that deletes the actual transactions from Quicken, not just the report! 

Instead try this::
    --Go to the account's register
    --Below the account name there is a search bar.
    --Set This month or whatever as the date range.
    --Select Payment in the Any Type dropdown
    --Type Debit Cd in the search box. This will select all the Payment transactions with that string anywhere in the transaction. Hopefully that only appears in the Check Num field.

Go to File > Print <account name> to generate the filtered report. The format is not the greatest, but it should be OK

QWin Premier subscription
  • jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Jim_Harmon's method works - no "total", but just subtract the ending amount from the beginning amount. Easy enough - format is good enough. Tnx!
  • jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Jim_Harmon's "Be careful..." caution is correct. If you delete transactions from a report, you also are deleting from the checking register. You would think the report would be sort of a "stand-alone" temporary file and not be linked to the register - not so. This might be a deficiency that Quicken developers could/should fix. I'd made a back-up file previously to this report and deletion of non-debit card transactions, so no real problem here - load the back-up file and I think I had to reinput two transactions. No biggie...
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jah47Ed said:
    Look in the lower left margin of the register. There is a transaction count and a total for the filtered items displayed.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jah47Ed
    jah47Ed Member ✭✭
    Got it! Left hand corner of bottom margin bar. Item count and negative $ amount in a red font. good stuff...
This discussion has been closed.