How do I choose which backup to restore?

Comments

• NancyP
    NancyP Unconfirmed, Member
    My bank reconciliation is way off. Transactions that cleared long ago are now showing up as not cleared. I could restore from a backup, but which one? How much data will I lose by doing that?
    Help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you restore the most recent backup you have available that isn't corrupt.   The backup is a copy of the Quicken file at the time the backup was saved so the changes you've made to the Quicken file since the backup was saved are the changes that are not initially present in the restored file.  Note: When we restore a Quicken file backup, we do not need to replace the original file.

Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • SandyG
    SandyG Member
    There is BU file SRTQTX and QDATA etc which is the one to use.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @SandyG

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. In this case I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly. I'll leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT