Vanguard Transition - better way than to Remove Shares and then Add Shares?

Michael Reavell
Michael Reavell Member ✭✭
edited February 2021 in Investing (Windows)
Vanguard is updating their platform to incorporate mutual funds into brokerage accounts. This entails creating a new account in Vanguard and the transfer of the mutual funds to that account. Same number of shares and value different account number only. Quicken uses the remove and add shares transactions once you have established the new accounts in Quicken. The balances are correct but the history is lost. Your YTD gain, 12 month gain etc show N/A. So I ask is there a better way?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Michael Reavell,

Yes, I would have suggested - rather than creating a new account - that you:

1) Backup your data file;
    2) deactivate online update for the current account;
    3) change the account number from the old account number to the new one;
    4) change the "name" of the account (not mandatory)
    5) reactivate the accounts for downloading.

This way you still have your account history intact, as well as in one account instead of spread across two Quicken accounts and don't have all those "Remove shares" and "Add shares", which add nothing to the history.

Here's a link to another thread that lists detailed instructions, in case you'd like to redo your conversion.   https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884021/transition-vanguard-accounts-to-brokerage-accounts

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Michael Reavell,

Yes, I would have suggested - rather than creating a new account - that you:

1) Backup your data file;
    2) deactivate online update for the current account;
    3) change the account number from the old account number to the new one;
    4) change the "name" of the account (not mandatory)
    5) reactivate the accounts for downloading.

This way you still have your account history intact, as well as in one account instead of spread across two Quicken accounts and don't have all those "Remove shares" and "Add shares", which add nothing to the history.

Here's a link to another thread that lists detailed instructions, in case you'd like to redo your conversion.   https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884021/transition-vanguard-accounts-to-brokerage-accounts

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    There have been a couple of threads on this - and I just did it today....
    Here are some instructions from another thread.... that I followed and posted.
    ... I just "upgraded" my Vanguard mutual fund account to Brokerage account.
    In Quicken, it wanted to remove the shares from my old accounts and add them to my new accounts. I did not want to lose 20 years of history from the old accounts and didn't want to transfer the transactions to the new one. So here's what I did:

1 - I deactivated the online services for those old Vanguard accounts.
    2 - Then I reactivated them via Online Services --> SETUP.
    Quicken connected to Vanguard, prompted for User ID and Password.
    3 - Showed me the old account numbers and the new account numbers.
    4 - I set the old account numbers to "ignore/do not add",
    and "linked" the new account numbers to my existing Quicken Vanguard accounts.
    5 - Then, it downloaded 588 days of activity.
    6 - Most of the transactions were ignored, as they internally matched existing ones.
    However, any very recent Bond transactions were listed.
    7 - The download also included ADD SHARES - which doubles the share count.
    I manually when thru those and deleted each one.
    I would also suggest closing and exiting Quicken after this activity,
    as I had some weird things happen if I stayed in...

[EDIT] - updated topic title to better reflect the Vanguard Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Just curious on the new Vanguard Brokerage account - with the MM Settlement cash account for the parking lot....
    How are transactions into and out of the Settlement account reflected in Quicken ?
    I just completed the migration today.... and just now created a $1,500 Transfer from our Chase bank account (old established Vanguard acct linkup) to our Vanguard account - it will be interesting to see what happens.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10