How to make Balance 'not' include uncleared transactions

whip
whip Member ✭✭
I do not connect my accounts to my bank but favor entering my transactions manually. I have transactions entered (upcoming bills) that have not cleared yet. How can I make the Balance NOT include these? Regardless of the Balance Type I choose, (Todays Balance or Online Balance, or Projected Balance) my totals never change and always include the uncleared transactions.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @whip,

Since you do not connect your Quicken file to any of your financial institutions but rather enter (and also clear/update) all transactions manually, you don't receive the "Online Balance" data from your bank.  You can only get that data, by connecting your accounts online.  So, the only information Quicken has, is your manually entered information and changing the "balance type" has no effect. 

I guess (theoretically) you could try changing the dates of the checks you write to the dates you believe they will clear the bank - rather than the date you write them - and maybe that might change the "Today's Balance", but then your data will not be accurate.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?  What are you trying to achieve?  Maybe there is a different way to get that result. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @whip, wouldn't you want a check that you just wrote to be included in the balance, thereby reducing it, even though it hasn't cleared yet?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA, @Frankx, @splasher

I do this because I don't want Quicken connected to my bank, so I manually enter and manage my transactions. I periodically compare/check a desktop quicken report I've created against my bank balance to ensure everything matches up. In the quicken desktop report, I had the ability to choose whether I want cleared transactions included or not when I created the report, but the although the web version has a similar balance, I cannot choose where I want it to include non-cleared transactions.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see where connecting to the bank (electronically) has anything to do with it, but if you think it does, so be it.
    If you want to see a balance of anything "not cleared", sort your register by the CLR column, the uncleared (blank) transactions will sort to the bottom and the running balance of the last "C" or "R" will be the balance you are looking for.

NOTE:  Clicking on a column header will sort by that column. 
    Clicking a second time (not a double click) will reverse the order.  In your case, click on the CLR column header.

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    If I understand correctly, unless I bind quicken to my bank, the balance will never be correct the way I use it.

Assume its the 1st of the month.
    Assume my current bank balance is $100.
    Assume I have only 1 account in Quicken with a starting Balance of $100.
    I'm budgeting for the month, so I then create a transaction for a bill I know will occur on the 5th for Netflix for $20.00

This means any time I use the quicken web version, my balance will read $80.

I want it to read $100 and match the bank. When the 5th comes and I clear the transaction, then it should say $80 and match my bank.

So essentially this is a trivial example, but without this feature, the web based quicken will never match my bank balance unless every single transaction is cleared which is just weird.

I'd rather not hook quicken up to my bank and have it slurp in transactions. I've tried this years ago and I found that rather than having a clean, human readable description like 'Amazon', you of course get the banks nonsensical all caps transaction description that is just a bunch of noise. Maybe its changed but I'm not really interested in entertaining hooking it into my bank.
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > I don't see where connecting to the bank (electronically) has anything to do with it, but if you think it does, so be it.
    > If you want to see a balance of anything "not cleared", sort your register by the CLR column, the uncleared (blank) transactions will sort to the bottom and the running balance of the last "C" or "R" will be the balance you are looking for.
    >
    > NOTE:  Clicking on a column header will sort by that column. 
    > Clicking a second time (not a double click) will reverse the order.  In your case, click on the CLR column header.

For one thing, I don't even see a Balance column in my transaction grid. I can click the Preferences Gear > Show/Hide Columns > and ensure Balance is checked.

It does not appear in the Grid.
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    Uh this think is buggy....the Balance column was rendering somehow, I then sorted by CLR and it disappeared. Now I can't get the column back....
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    Ah. Balance column actually hides if you sort by CLR....
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    This is what I'm after.
    I'm wanting the balance of Cash and Checking, to reflect my bank balance, but uncleared transactions that I have staged in Monthly Expenses, Subscriptions, and Mortgage is causing it to incorrect.

All I need is some option within Balance Display, or some preference somewhere to NOT include uncleared transactions in the calculation.
    0.png 14.4K
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @whip
    Not sure what is wrong with your Quicken for Windows installation, but here is a screenshot of the top of my account's register with it sorted by CLR (notice the triangle in the header).  The Balance column is displayed.  It shows in both the 1 and 2 line registers.
    The account shown is NOT connected to any financial institution so it is the same as your setup.

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    We are not talking about Quicken for Windows...we are talking about the web version...
    app.quicken.com
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    I just checked the forum section. I swear I posted this within the web version and not the windows desktop version.... arg
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you should have posted this under the Quicken on the Web category of thie forum.  I have been providing answers based on it being in the Quicken for Windows category.

I will  flag this for a category change by one of the moderators.

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    Ill post there. Sorry for the confusion
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't repost, the mod will move.

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    This is what I'm after. See attached pic.

I'm wanting the balance of Cash and Checking, to reflect my bank balance, but uncleared transactions that I have staged in Monthly Expenses, Subscriptions, and Mortgage is causing it to incorrect.

All I need is some option within Balance Display, or some preference somewhere to NOT include uncleared transactions in the calculation.
    0.png 14.4K
  • whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    too late.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I asked in your other thread ... do you NOT want written, but uncleared checks included in the balances?
    I can't imagine why you wouldn't want those included as they reduce the money available to you ... which is your balance in Q

• whip
    whip Member ✭✭
    I only want cleared transactions included in the balance calculation.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but there's no way to configure the account bar, as shown in your graphic, other than a choice between Current Balance and Ending Balance (which would include future dated transactions).

This discussion has been closed.