QDF file size

Quicken Windows Canada R28.15 Build 27.1.28.15

I have 31 years worth of data in my QDf file. I "Keep my Stuff in Quicken" (bank and brokerage statements, as well as utility and other recurring periodic bills). The QDF file was 914,600 KB in size on the 3Feb21. I went though the file and deleted all the 2013 and earlier statements and bills on 4Feb21 (seven years kept for the tax folks). The QDF file GREW to 1,066,760 KB where I would have expected it to SHRINK somewhat. Tonight I discovered the QDF-backup file (which I create every day to a 31 day rotation) did SHRINK to 904,104 KB, but the QDF file is still over 1 GB.

I don't ever plan to do a year end copy. I am happy with the speeds of Quicken and my, probably unique, backup strategy.

I know I could restore my QDF file from my most recent QDF-backup file and suspect the size would be just over 900 MB. My real questions are:

Does Quicken not dynamically reduce the size of the QDF file when a significant number of attachments are deleted?

Is there a finite limit I am going to run into at some future date?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    gs_ said:

Does Quicken not dynamically reduce the size of the QDF file when a significant number of attachments are deleted?

No, as a performance feature of databases they normally don't delete records.  It is an "expensive" operation to add records, so instead they just mark them "deleted" and later they will reuse the same record.

You should be able to reduce the size by using File -> File Operations -> Copy...
    This is a record by record copy, which skips records that are marked "deleted".

And as far as the file size limit, there isn't any "known" limit.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    gs_ said:

No, as a performance feature of databases they normally don't delete records.  It is an "expensive" operation to add records, so instead they just mark them "deleted" and later they will reuse the same record.

You should be able to reduce the size by using File -> File Operations -> Copy...
    This is a record by record copy, which skips records that are marked "deleted".

And as far as the file size limit, there isn't any "known" limit.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.