The date/time stamp does not update when the QDF closes.

llnpaypal
llnpaypal Member ✭✭
i've been in and out of my Quicken QDF several times on my laptop since 12/31/20.

I use only one copy of the file on one system, a Win10 laptop.

I've added transactions, downloaded transactions, etc., and their dates are correct in the QDF. My backup files have the correct date and time.

However, the date/time stamp of the QDF on my laptop remains 12/31/20, even though it used to update whenever I closed the file.

I need the date/time information to update correctly when I close the file. What needs to happen to make this work again?

Answers

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    That's weird. Maybe in quicken click on File, and towards the bottom it'll list your most recently opened data files including their full path. Double check because you may be looking at a backup folder or a qdataCPY copy or a validate folder inadvertently.

If you're not making automatic backups of your quicken data to a backup drive/folder, perhaps you should be. 

wags Glad to be here!

• llnpaypal
    llnpaypal Member ✭✭
    Thanks. The file backs up to a subfolder every time I close it; those auto back-ups are dated correctly. I also perform a back-up to an external drive every week or so.

Nice tip about the file paths - thanks, even though it didn't solve the issue. There are two files listed: one for the file that I use daily; the other in Documents\Quicken, and the date is earlier than the one I use.

Was there an update after 12/31/20? Perhaps it's interfering with the date/time stamp?
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I think Quicken has had 3 software updates this year, but my files change date/time every time I go into them, even if I dont make any changes.

Did you make a Year End Copy? 

Where do you keep your files, if not Documents/Quicken? Is it on a nas/network drive, or onedrive/dropbox/googledrive?

wags Glad to be here!

• llnpaypal
    llnpaypal Member ✭✭
    I didn't make a year-end copy; I had data to update after 12/31/20.

I keep my working files in a folder on my laptop, not Documents/Quicken, which I've never used except to follow your earlier tip.

Earlier today I ran File | File Operations | Validate and Repair. The two .DAT files have today's date, as does the LOG.txt. The Log didn't report anything suspicious:

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

I'll resort to uninstall/reinstall and see if that fixes it.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't done so already. I would check to verify if the file name or location have not changed.  If you use a program shortcut to open, the last file/location will be opened, even if it's location has changed.  If you double click the actual data file, it should open the file at the folder/location you are viewing although a recent upgrade is reported to have created some problems with that.  You can also search for all Quicken data files from the File menu within Quicken.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• llnpaypal
    llnpaypal Member ✭✭
    Strange, but the date/time updated finally, after I'd run the Validate/Repair feature. Just opened and closed the QDF, and it updated again. Problem solved (at least for now).

Thanks again, Studpup.
  • llnpaypal
    llnpaypal Member ✭✭
    And thank you, too, @jrich75! I'd missed your message when I sent my earlier reply
This discussion has been closed.